Back & Neck Community
Future Spinal Risks?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Future Spinal Risks?

To start off with, I am a 19 year old female and was diagnosed with a 25 degree scoliosis in the lumber regen of my spine.
I had been to the doctor with lower back pain that was progressivly getting worse, so I got an X-ray that showed the scoliosis.

So my question is, without treatment, will it get worse? Am I at risk of it progressing into arthritis or even just a larger curve?

Please just help me out, I don't really know much about it.
Yes, scoliosis can cause degenerative disc disease and lumbar spondylosis over time.

However, I imagine much of the pain you experience now is due to muscle tension. I too have a lumbar scoliosis that causes chronic muscle spasm to the large muscles of my lower back, and the large psoas muscle that lies in the middle of the abdomen and allows us to bend forward.

Physical therapy can help you learn how to stretch and release these muscles. Annual visits to a spine specialist can help you keep an eye on those discs and joints.

Best wishes.