Back & Neck Community
Help understanding MRI results.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Help understanding MRI results.

Can someone help me understand my MRI results?  My doctor ordered them but has not been in contact since they were done 3 weeks ago.  I am going to be transferred to FL from TN with my company around the first of Oct. and would like to know if there is something in my back that should be taken care of before I move.

READ

CLINICAL INFORMATION: Low back pain. Right leg pain and paresthesias

EXAMINATION: MRI SPINE LUMBAR WO CONT, 8/2/2013 2:39 PM, MR130023551

COMPARISON: None

TECHNIQUE: Sagittal and axial Ti and T2-weighted imaging obtained lumbar spine. Sagittal STIR imaging obtained.

FINDINGS: There is an anterior wedge compression fracture of L1 and a mild superior endplate compression of L2. Sagittal STIR images show no edema. Both appear chronic.

L5-S 1 shows severe disc degeneration. Posteriorly there is shallow right paracentral bulge causing effacement of the dural sac. There is also moderate facet hypertrophy and degeneration with mild to moderate appearing central canal stenosis. There is also mild stenosis the neural foramina bilaterally.

L4-5 again shows disc degeneration with no focal disc protrusion. Facet degeneration is present with mild central canal stenosis and mild narrowing of neural foramina bilaterally.

L3-4 shows disc degeneration no focal disc protrusion facet degeneration with mild central canal narrowing and foraminal narrowing.

L2-3 again shows disc degeneration with broad-based posterior bulge of the annulus. No focal disc protrusion facet degeneration and hypertrophy is present. Central canal narrowing and foraminal narrowing is minimal.

L1-2 shows central and right paracentral disc protrusion causing shallow effacement of the dural sac. Mild facet degeneration. The conus appears normal. Paraspinous soft tissues are normal.

IMPRESSION:
1. Right paracentral disc protrusion at L5-S 1 associated with effacement of the dural sac and nerve roots.

2. Old compression fracture of L1 and minimally the superior endplate of L2-3.

3. Multilevel disc and facet degenerative disease as described above. Mild central canal stenosis and foraminal stenosis is present at multiple levels.

4. Right paracentral posterior disc protrusion also present at L1-2.

I have the same problem. My L5 S1 disc has also degenerated, which means there is little or no cushioning between the vertebrae. This is called  Disc Degenerate Disease or DDD, you can google it to find out more. They say that chondroitin and glucosamine helps for this, and my radiologist said that all I can do is rest and try not put pressure on my spine by picking up heavy things etc. Hope this helps you.
call your doc and set up a meeting. my doctor explained the whole thing, face to face. he had it on his computer. you need to give these docs a nudge!
Thank you for your assistance.  In my job I can't really take it easy at this time of year and I was wondering if I was making the problem worse.
Thank you.  I guess I do need to give the doctor another nudge.  I have already called twice and then went by to pick up the results to see if I could figure them out on my own but have still heard nothing from the doctor.  I went by the hospital and got the MRI on a CD so that I could have another doctor look them over if I have to.