Back & Neck Community
Hip Dimple

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Hip Dimple

I am 19 years old and I recently (about a month ago) noticed a new dimple on my left hip towards my back.  It is almost an inch in diameter, and seems to be numb, but it's a little hard to tell.  Lately I've been having lower back pain as well - a very quick sharp pain that locks my back for a second.  Is this something to worry about?  I am a severe hypochondriac and I've been wondering if it's some sort of nerve damage, or muscle deterioration, or even a sort of tumor??  I often worry for no reason, but I just can't let this go!  I'm also broke, so I can't afford to go to the doctor every time i worry about something (considering I am such a hypochondriac).  I can't seem to find anything online about "hip dimples" so I am hoping this will give me some peace of mind or at least confirmation that I should have it checked out.

Thanks, Bethany
I should also note that I was sick with bronchitis & pneumonia for 3 months recently, and I lost about 10 pounds because of it.  I'm still trying to gain the weight back (I am naturally skinny so it's hard for me & my weight keeps going up and down), so could this have anything to do with all the weight fluctuations?
by the way, it is probably nothing serious
What more can you tell about this "hip dimple".. Is it an indentation? Is it by chance located just to one side of your spine. What does it feel like if you push on it? Is is tender or sore? Have you had any type of injury that seems to correspond to the time you noticed the "dimple". Where does the pain radiate when your back locks up?
Im not sure what that is. You probably just have a tight muscle causing pressure on a nerve which will go away with time  - but no one can be sure without looking at you first hand (try doing some stretching exercises). You might consider seeing a therapist about your hypochondriasis. Psychological disorders are very common and are nothing to be ashamed about. I think it would benefit you in the long run, and save you money! good luck
Hi, and thanks for getting back to me.

The dimple is definitely an indentation, although it's not very deep.  It's not next to my spine, it's on my left side but slightly more toward the back.  Pushing on it feels like pushing on any other place, but when i just lightly touch the skin, the muscle underneath doesn't seem to feel it (the skin does).  The lock-up pain usually only stays in that area (about a 2-inch diameter area halfway between the dimple and my spine, on my pelvic bone I think (at the belt line).  But a few nights ago I was laying down and that spot started burning and it spread down to the top of my left leg in what felt like the bones (it burned pretty bad!).  Once I stood up it stopped.  When I layed down again, it burned the same but it didn't spread from its original spot.  I was told I had slight scoliosis at my last physical, but that was in 8th grade, so I'm not sure what the status of that is anymore.  I can't think of any injuries that might have caused it.  Maybe something to do with my decline in activity?  I got a job working on a computer all day in September, and since then I have done virtually no exercise.  Is it possible that it's just a dimple, even though I never had it before and it's only on one side?  I really don't know if it's related to the pain I've been having.  The pain started about two weeks after I noticed the dimple.  Hope all that helps!

Thanks again,

Bethany
thanks, I feel a little better now.  (although i will still have it looked at next time I visit the doctor)  I probably should see someone about my hypochondriasis...it is bad.  For the past 6 months or so, I've had constant multiple health concerns, and I'm starting to wonder if any of it's even real.  I've always been a hypochondriac, but it seems to have gotten much much worse recently.

Thank you so much for taking time to help us all out in here!  These forums are great for someone like me who worries too often to see a doctor all the time.
My daughter just realized a huge indentation and a smaller one both on her lower right back to the right of the spine. The largest indentation is fist size and at the upper buttocks. The smaller is above it and more than half that size. She doesn't have back pain. She had gallbladder surgery about 4 weeks ago and continues to have digestive difficulties.
What in the world? I am very afraid for her health. Please help me…
DebbieLovesDaughter