L3-L4-L5 fusion
Prior to my three level fusion I had extreme pain in my lower back and I was getting severe pain in my left hip.  I had the three level fusion with a disk replacement, rod, cage and screws installed in Nov. 2009.  I put up with this pain for three years prior to surgery.  My back pain has been signifacantly reduced.  The problem with the hip pain when walking long distances has not gone away.  My left hip will start to hurt and the pain radiates up to my lower back.  If I stop and rest a few minutes I can continue but only for a short distance.  I have no problem just walking around the house.  I'm wondering if this pain I get in my hip is due to inflamation due to surgery or could it be some other problem.  I never had prolems with hip pain prior to injuring my back.  Will this hip pain subside with time.  My Doctor says it takes about a year to fully heal from a spinal fusion but I can't stand not being able to walk without getting pain in my hip.
I had my fusion in Nov.09 also,have you returned to work?
I noticed the same pain when I took big steps,I have started taking smaller strides and it seems to have helped.
I also had the same surgery,no cage though.
Are you still wearing brace also? I smoke so my doctor said it would be another month before Im done with it,at least.
Mine was done on Nov.30th.I called my doctor about returning to work by Feb.1st..My work is going to let me go if I dont,not sure if Im ready.I lose my job,I lose it all,on short term disability threw work and will lose that also.I doubt my doctor will let me return,I dont know what I will do if Im not aloud.Im in housekeeping at a hospital so I just dont know.Good luck to you.