Lower back left side muscle bulge w/ pain
My fiance has been dealing with this weird symptom for about a year now. His spine doctor says he's got a L-3,4,5 spondylolysthesis which he might have been born with. His physical therapist says his left leg is 7mm shorter than the right and that his pelvis is rotated. He has a 1" solid muscle bulge (the surgeon injected cortisone directly into the bulge) about 1" to the left of center spine between L5 and S1. He's had 2 epidural shots, and has tried chiropractic adjustments, a heel lift, stretching, and even a set of MBT footwear to help fix the problem with no relief. The muscle is painful to the touch, and even throbs with pain when the area is overly excercised or if he sits or stands for a long time. He doesn't lift heavy things anymore and has switched to a low impact exercise program. His discs look just slightly inflamed, but the muscle is the real issue. Has anyone dealt with this issue before? I don't know what else he can do outside of stretching, exercises, and avoiding stressing the area.  Can anyone give me an advice, I would really appreciate it alot.... thanks

janlo26
Welcome to the Back and Neck Community.  Members are here to assist and support individuals experiencing symptoms related to possible abnormal conditions of the cervical and/or lumbar spine.  Advice given is non-professional and is based primarily on personal experiences.  Please post on the Expert Forum if additional medical advice is needed and one of the medical doctors will assist you as appropriate.

I am sorry to hear of your fiance's prolonged discomfort.  As he has been under the care of a spine doctor and the diagnosis of spondylolysthesis has been confirmed, you are both probably aware that this spine abnormality also produces significant muscle pain. His exercise program has probably included myofascial release and other forms of myotherapy without relief.  Conservative treatment with cortisone injections and epidurals did not provide longterm relief.  Has surgical intervention been completely ruled out?  
There are additional support mechanisms that could provide some reduction in his subjective symptoms.  You might try this web site: www.spine-health.com/conditions/spondylolysthesis.  It provides more indepth interactive information including videos that may assist you further.
Other members of this community have probably had personal experiences with this condition and may also be able to provide their personal experiences of how they have managed their chronic pain.
Please post back and let us know of his progress and with any additional questions/concerns you may have.
Best wishes ----
Thanks alot for the advice. The website you provided helped out alot. I just purchased a book from that site. Thank you

janlo26