Back & Neck Community
Lower back pressure, can't bend backwards

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

I have lower back pain that has gotten increasingly worse and more constant over the last 6 months. It seems to have very specific triggers- walking tightens it like the muscles are being wound up, and I often have to stop and sit on the ground in the middle of wherever I am just to relieve the pressure. I can't bend backwards at all without significant pain, but the pain is somewhat relieved by bending way forward or sitting with my knees to my chest or in the butterfly stretch. I can crack it bending forward sometimes and that helps somewhat. Sometimes I wake up in the morning and it feels very sore from laying flat all night.

I have fibromyalgia, but this pain feels very different and has different triggers for me.

Does anyone have any ideas of what this could be? My doctors have all kind of brushed me off with a "how curious!" and then done nothing to help with it. It's seriously interfering with my life and I'm not sure what to do!
Tags: lower back, Back pain, walking, pressure, bending back
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include postural issues, neuro-muscular causes such as muscle sprain, nerve impingement, injuries to muscles/ ligaments, inflammations, spinal causes such as degeneration, micronutrient deficiencies, referred pain from other regions etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by a primary care physician initially and depending on the cause diagnosed/ suspected, it can be managed accordingly or specialist care may be sought. Meanwhile you could try using some warm compresses or taking some tylenol/ OTC NSAIDS and see of these seem to help.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!