Back & Neck Community
MRI Cervical spine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

MRI Cervical spine

Thanks for taking the time to look over my question. For the past 12 months i have been experiancing a tingling/burning sensation in my feet along with slight weakness in my arms and legs. In addition i get occasional muscle spasms and twitches which makle it difficult to get a full nights sleep.

I visited my doctors who ordered a number of blood tests for RA, b12, calcuim etc and in addition ordered an MRI of my brain and cervical spine.

the blood tests came back normal, the brain Mri was normal however the MRI of the spien revealed the following.

the blood tests came back normal, the brain Mri was normal however the MRI of the spine revealed the following.

No MR evidence of intrinsic cervical or upper thoracic cord signal abnormality.

Cervical bodies are normal in height and signal intensity.  Mild posterior annulus bludging exists at the c4/c5 level. No evidence of significant disc protrusion, spinal canal stenosis or foromanal stenosis.

Within the thoracic region , there is multilevel disc degeneration with annulus bulging  and end plate irregularity.
At  t2/3 there is a shallow 2.5mm right posterolateral protrusion.
At t3/4 there is a 4mm left posterolateral protrusion deforming the ventral cord surface
At t4/5 a 2.5mm left posterolateral protrusion is present.
At t5.6 there is posterior bulging with a shallow bulge/protrusion

Had mild back pain the in past, on the left mid back region, I kayak a lot so I thought it may have been related to that . .

I guess im just seeking guidance as to weather the above mentioned findings could be related to my symptoms and if I should follow up with an surgeon or just leave it ?

i have included a couple of scans of the MR images. Im not sure how helpful they are

http://image66.webshots.com/766/9/14/40/2486914400101928552rxUuZg_fs.jpg
http://image62.webshots.com/662/7/15/98/2564715980101928552pvrQQE_fs.jpg
http://image66.webshots.com/766/0/13/67/2743013670101928552UziQGQ_fs.jpg

i appreciate you taking the time to look

Tags: spine, MRI
The results of your MRI show no significant abnornalities in the cervical spine,  There is evidence of degenerative disc disease in the thoracic spine particularly at T3-4.  The intervertebral disc has protruded (herniated) through the annulus covering and is causing an alteration of the spinal cord.
The other levels of your thoracic spine also have degenerative changes, but only bulging of the annulus without herniation.  There is no information reported on any specific nerve compression or stenosis (narrowing) of the spinal canal except at T3-4.
The spinal cord is maintaining function/signal activity indicating no damage to the cord tissue.
The herniation and cord alteration at T3-4 could be the underlying cause of your symptoms, especially the tingling sensations in your feet and weakness of your legs.
The cervical spine has minimal degenerative changes and no evidence of disc herniation or spinal canal narrowing.  The foramen are clear and indicate no direct compression on the spinal nerve roots.
It would be beneficial to have an evaluation with a neurosurgeon who could review your films and provide further explanation regarding the findings.  Pending the results of this review and a neurological exam, appropriate treatment recommendations could be discussed.  These findings may or may not require surgery depending on the correlation of the MRI findings and your subjective symptoms in conjunction with the neuro exam.
Post again with an update and any additional questions.concerns you may have.
Best wishes ----