Back & Neck Community
Middle right back pain that radiates to under the ribs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

I am a 38 yr old student that besides being about 50 lbs over weight am other wise healthy, walk alot, play with the grand babies, and play summer softball. Now here is my trouble, Lastnight after dinner I was watching the race on tv and I was not able to get comfortable due to a horribale pain in the middle of the right side of my back then at three o'clock I woke because every breath I took made the pain go through under my rib cage, I then took 1000 mg of acetameniphen and it has not touched the pain. Could there be something more serious going on, or should I just tough it out?

Thank you,
Smurphy05
If you get a fever, loose your breath, feel dizzy, have headaches or chest pain you need to get to the ER ASAP. Back pain can be a kidney issue like stones or an infection, but it could also be a heart attack. Many women don't experience the "typical" left arm pain and chest pain preceding a heart attack. Instead a lot of women complain about bloating, heart burn, and back pain. If you don't feel like it's an emergency I would still get to the dr's first thing in the morning. It could be something serious, so it's really not worth the risk.