Back & Neck Community
My severe back strain isn't getting better! What should I do?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

First of all I wanted to describe to you exactly what I've been experiencing. I've done some research online and found that my symptoms match this:

"A back sprain is a ligament injury. The severity of a sprain can range from mild to severe. Healing time depends on the severity of the sprain. Most back sprains heal in six to eight weeks but it can take several months for complete recovery from a severe back sprain. Ligaments take longer to heal than muscles."

Now my question is I've been having back pain since October and it used to be my whole back was hurting after I moved a heavy couch. Over time most of the pain has gone away except this one spot in the middle left side of my back which started really hurting the first week of December. I went to the doctor twice and each time they just prescribed me pain medication and they didn't make it sound like it was anything to worry about. I mean they didn't even think I needed an x-ray. I've all but lost my patience because I've expected this to go away by now! I mean its coming up on 5 months now and I'm just worried that this will never go away. I don't have health insurance so I just can't keep going to the doctor. So I just really need an experts input on this whole situation. Thank you!
Tags: back sprain
A detailed clinical evaluation is needed to arrive at a correct diagnosis.  This might not be a simple lumbosacral strain since it's coming up for almost 5 months now.  In the meantime, apply warm compress for 20 minutes 3 times in a day, Good posture reduces the pressure on your spine. Keep your back straight and aligned, particularly when sitting for longer periods. Certain activities may worsen your pain. If you identify these triggers, avoid them.

Sometimes, using your back muscles instead of your leg and thigh muscles to lift large, heavy objects can lead to a herniated disk, as can twisting and turning while lifting. An MRI will confirm if you have a slipped disk or not.

I hope this helps! Take care!
hello! thank you for your response. I agree that I need an MRI but when I suggested it to the last doctor she said instead of that I should take ibuprofen. which I have been but it doesn't really help. I know its not my spine because the first doctor said it was my trapezial muscle. It's more on the left side of my back in the middle. Do you really think physical therapy will help? I can't really afford physical therapy right now since I have no insurance. But I'll do it if it'll make the pain go away. I'm just scared I'll need surgery or something to repair a ligament if thats what it is.
If this is a strained trapezius muscle then I would advise physical therapy to facilitate healing of probably a pulled muscle (It's not a ligament). The PT will probably used modalities that will help reduce pain such as moist heat, TENS, Endolaser therapy etc.. Therapeutic ultrasound is effective to decrease adhesion in the muscle that may contribute to the pain. You will also be guided on how to stretch tight muscles and strengthen weak muscles in there are muscular imbalances in your back. Try to correct any postural fault if there is. Always apply proper back mechanics.

Take care!