Back & Neck Community
Neck Pain and Headaches

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Neck Pain and Headaches

I am hoping someone can give me some advice.

For the past couple of years I have been experiencing neck pain that radiates into the base of my skull and results in a bad headache. Bad enough that every time my heart beats, it feels as if someone is punching me in the back of the skull. Every now and then, the headache is also accompanied by a low-volume high-pitch ringing in my left ear. And at times the pain will radiate into my left shoulder.

I could live with the pain and discomfort if that's all that was involved. But the pain also comes with severe dizziness and light-headedness. Dizziness to the point that I have fallen several times, and it makes everyday life very difficult. The pain usually comes along after I turn my head and hear and feel a popping sensation in the left side of my neck.

I have been told I have some bone spurs in my neck and something wrong with a disc or two, but I can't remember what it was. I had surgery five years ago for syringomyelia (SP?) and the headaches and pain have gotten worse. I have grown rather distrustful of doctors where I live, because all they want to do is send me for an MRI, then charge me $1000 to spend five minutes with me and not tell me anything new.

Has anyone else experienced these symptoms? If so, have you received any kind of diagnosis, or any kind of relief? I'm to the point that I don't know what to do, and it's starting to affect me mentally and emotionally as well.

Chiari Malformation
try a good chiro they find and fix what docs cant

my lower back is toast i come up clean all scans

yet 20 or more chiros point and worked on it

my latest chiro says to hard to describe whats going on fubar but adjustments help

NO Chiros if you have a syrinx from Syringomyelia or possibly have Chiari Malformation....you said you had surgery...most times it is a posterior  fossa  decompression for Chiari that can help when one has Syringomyelia....

Find out ALL that was done for your surgery and get a NEW  MRI as it could be scar tissue or may not have been done large enuff to allow flow or was too large and  that is causing issues....

Deff get copies of ALL your MRIs and request copies of the reports even your OR report....this you can get from the facility where testing and the surgery were done....

keep us posted.