Back & Neck Community
Neck and Shoulder Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Neck and Shoulder Pain

Dear Doctor,

I would like to ask a few questions about my neck and shoulder pain.
i had been sitting in the wrong posture in front of computers for years now i have problems with my neck and shoulder.I have pain in between the shoulder blade of my left shoulder when i put my arm up and stretch to the right i can feel the pain between increasing,also i have problems in sitting without support to my neck ,i get neck pain neat to the top part of the shoulder and the point where neck joins the spine.Also i feel that my lower left shoulder is unrelaxed  when sitting,always causes kind of tied up feeling.
I had gone to a doctor x rays of the neck and shoulder were fine.He told me to do some stretches and keep good posture I do try
But i feel worse in the morning,Can you please tell me what im suffering from and how can i relieve it.

Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possible causes of neck/ back pain include postural issues, neuro-muscular causes such as muscle sprain, nerve impingement, injuries to muscles/ ligaments etc. inflammations, fractures/ dislocations, bone bruise, referred pain from other regions, micronutrient deficiencies etc. While fractures and dislocations would be ruled out with x-rays other possibilities may need to be evaluated for. I would recommend acquiring a straight back posture while sitting. Back and postural supports may be useful for the purpose. Physiotherapy may help improve the strength in the back muscles and may be helpful in symptomatic relief. If the symptoms do not seem better with the recommended measures, you may seek a review with your treating doctor for a detailed evaluation and suggestion of an appropriate management pan.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!