Back & Neck Community
Neck damage and sympathetic nervous system problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Hey first of all just want to say that I'm new to the site, so "Hi".  Anyway, I have a question (which I'm posting in the neck/spine are also just in case I've got the wrong forum) which relates to nerve damage causing symptoms related to the sympathetic nervous system.  

A few years ago I developed some very odd symptoms after giving birth to my first child, I have been a human pin cushion since, seen many specialists and they still not have found the answer to what is wrong with me.  However, since having my second child 2 years ago I got worse in that I began experiencing a lot of pain in my muscles and ligaments, I developed severe fatigue and now struggle to get up a flight of stairs without muscles being in pain and my heart racing (before I had children I used to be very fit and healthy, I did dance, running, all sorts).

What I noticed when my symptoms began was that I had headaches (cluster headaches), scalp sensitivity, vision problems, unequal pupils, pins and needles in my arms and legs, I would wake up with heavy pins and needles in my neck and arms if I had been laying on my back but didn't get it if I laid on my side, my legs would get horrible cold tingley rushing sensations, I now get pins and needles from the waist down often, it comes and goes from time to time, some days I'm laid up with muscle fatigue and tiredness and I have had to up my dose of beta blocker (atenolol) from 50mg a day to 75mg a day because I felt like they just haven't worked right over the past year or so.  

I have seen many Drs, one cardiologist told me he thought it was anxiety as I noticed that if I ever did get anxious it would be a heightened response than normal resulting in SVT and palpitations.  I have had a constant sinus tachy arrythmia with high blood pressure since the symptoms started too.

After years of pestering Dr's they realised it was not a mental thing as my mobility was getting worse and I am due to have a nerve conduction study and see a cardiologist again.  (I'm in the UK).  I've had this for 6 years now and am desperate for a cure.

When it did start I also noticed twitching of the muscle at the back of my neck, I have constant pain in my neck and shoulders and when my neck and shoulders are touched the muscles hurt, my neck has been like a tight rope since birth of my first child (I gave birth in squatting position and I did crack my coccyx having him also, he was a large baby and the labour was quick).  One Dr asked when examining me if I'd had an accident because my neck felt to him like I had whiplash - I never have had whiplash.

Is it at all possible that damage to my neck/spine through maybe giving birth might have caused nerve damage?  I believe there is some problem with my vagal nerve because I have a tonne of stomach problems as the same time as the over active sympathetic nervous system.  I also struggle to perspire now and over heat in hot weather, I really cannot tolerate heat.  

My Dr believes that I may have MS and that is why he has referred me to a neurologist, I think the next avenue will be an MRI.

Anyone else with problems affecting their nervous system due or neck/spine/nerve injury?
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult o determine the cause of your symptoms. Most of the symptoms could be a part of the cluster headache syndrome while other possibilities such as sympathetic overdrive, hormonal/ endocrine/ metabolic issues, neuro-muscular causes, micronutrient deficiencies etc. may need to be considered as well. This may require evaluation by an internist, neurologist and a rheumatologist. After a cause is identified, it can be managed accordingly.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!