Back & Neck Community
Neck pain and numbness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Neck pain and numbness

I am 19 years old and  have been having neck pain since November 2010. The pain came on suddenly as I thought I hurt my back moving beds and bedside tables on a ward I worked on in the hospital. I had an MRI done in the December 2010 which came back fine along with ultrasounds, x rays and blood tests that were all normal. I was referred to a Rheumatoid Specialist in December 2010 and he tried a steriod injection which took 3 weeks to work and then took my pain away he then gave me them  a few more times until the last one my GP gave me didnt work. I have tried many pain killers prescribed by my doctor such as pain patches and tramadol. The pain seems to flare up I can have some good days and then others are very painful. I am in pain when sitting, stood up and bending although if i lay on my back it relieves the pain abit.I am unable to sleep at nightime from the pain although been very tired. Along with the neck pain is numbness, burning and weakness which affects my left arm and up the left side of my neck. My neck clicks all the time but now I will get a burning sensation sharp pain but if i tilt my head it makes a snapping sound that my family and friends have heard when sat in the same room. This does not hurt and relieves abit of the pain. My left shoulder also pops alot. All the doctors i have seen are baffled by my symptoms as my tests have come back normal. A chiropractor I seen in June said it could be a herniated disc from my symptoms what I told her. I am now waiting to be referred to a pain management clinic so I hope they can help as the pain is becoming to much now.

Thankyou for taking time out to read this
Many thanks :)