Back & Neck Community
Pain Management question.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Pain Management question.

I have been going to pain management for awhile because of bulging discs in my thoratic spine and was on tramadol and various other medications gabapentin etc. .. well yhe tramafol stopped working higher doses would be bad. So I was put on amatryptaline and nambutol ( spelling is off for sure ). I've been on anti inflamitory medications before prednisone ect and have had no relief from any of these. The Dr kept me on the gabapentin even though I told him ot did nothing but make me swimmy headed. So now I'm on a
Now I'm on all this and don't see it helping. I am at my wits end with the pain and don't know what to do.
Hi there!

Well, without knowing the relevant clinical details or a detailed clinical evaluation, it would be difficult to comment specifically on the situation or suggest management plan. Pain with bulging discs could be due to inflammation or due to compression of neural structures. While anti-inflammatory medications would suit the former, decompression surgery would be advisable for the latter. Pain management may be considered when these modes of treatment have not been effective or are not feasible. Also the type/ mode of pain relief would also depend on a number of other sub factors such as the type of pain, severity, side effects etc. It is best advised to discuss the situation and the suggested management plan in detail with your pain management specialist. If required you may seek a second opinion with another doctor.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Myself, I have been wearing a 100 mcg. Duragesic fentanyl patch changed every 72 hours, for about 4 years now. I also have been taking all sorts of meds for breakthrough pain, oxycontin through Nucynta 50 mg. I had to stop the Nucynta because of my epilepsy. My pain management doctor just keeps pumping this poison into me. My dream is to be free of all narcotics, but until I can get some sort of relief (probably in the form of surgery) the medications will have to stay. I have no insurance of any kind, my medications are through patient assistance programs. I understand others being at wit's end!
I should have added this, believe it or not, the fentanyl isn't working well anymore. I still have horrible pain. It takes about 4 hours for the new patch to start working when I put it on, and the relief that I do get lasts about 24 hours. I would not recommend this course of medication to anyone.