Back & Neck Community
Pain in left collar bone area and up the neck

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

I have had a new pain develop about 2 weeks ago in my left shoulder/collar bone area and travels up my neck and left side of my head and down my left side back and chest area.

I have tried taking 800mg of Motrin every 8 hours for a week now and even got a cortizone type shot 2 days ago and if anything the pain seems to be worse.

The pain feels like the worst toothache I've ever had, throbbing and pounding through out my shoulder,collarbone, neck and head all on the left side.  It hurts to lift my left arm.  Along with sharp lightning pain.

I can not recall hurting myself at all and there are no signs of injury nor bruising.

At best my pain stays at a 3 and travels up to a 10 without warning when the pounding pain begins.  It doesn't matter if I'm lying down, sitting, stretching, etc.

Nothing is stopping this pain and I have no idea what is wrong.  I have seen 2 different doctors at this point who didn't do any xrays and blew it off as a pulled muscle but I can even feel this pain throbbing below my left ear.

Please help :( I'm exhausted and am desperate.
Have u had ur trapizeus muscle checked out on that side?
Well, This morning I finally got to see my Orthopedic surgeon who is a wonderful doctor and after several xrays we discovered there is a problem with both my left shoulder joint and C6 in my neck.

I received an injection in my shoulder joint and to the lower left side of my neck at a centralized trigger point and he prescribed Tylox along with bed rest and ice packs.

I am going in mid next week for a MRI of each section to see exactly what type of damage there is.  He feels pretty certain I have a really bad bulging disk in my neck around C6, The xray indicated something is up in that area.

As far as my left shoulder goes. He had done the whole rotar cuff surgery on it 2 years ago for calcium deposits and bone spurs so he's a little worried something new has developed with that joint.

My pain has dramatically decreased thanks to his regimen of pain treatments from a 10 to a steady 2 to 4.

I'm just unfortunate to have 2 things at the same time causing me severe pain in the same area.

I am fortunate that I have a great doctor who listens and checks everything completely.

At least I am getting the help and answers I need. =)
Did you have surgery?