Back & Neck Community
Pain when breathing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Pain when breathing

Hello, I am posting this for my wife. She is 22 years old, and approx 7 weeks pregnant.

She is currently in a lot of pain, all on the left side of her body. The pain is 'stabbing' sometimes under her left breast, clear around to the left side of her back and into her left shoulder and occassionally her arm. The pain is so severe at times that she can't take deep breaths, and she is often woken up in the middle of the night.

This all came on rather suddenly -- on Wednesday morning it was a slight pain, and by Wednesday afternoon it was full blown. We did take her to ER, and at first they were certain she had a blood clot -- we prayed like crazy, and there was not blood clot. They ended up checking her blood, running atleast 3 EKGs, one echo of her heart, a lung xray, and a scan with dye of her lungs -- they also did an ultrasound on each of her legs. Everything came back clear (thank Jesus) -- but she is still in much pain.

Since she is so early in the pregnancy, they sent her home because they said she was at more risk being there, and they couldn't do much for her, since the only thing they can give her is tylenol.

They believe it is muscle related -- and sometimes it does help to rub on certain spots in her back, and the hot shower seemed to relieve it some last night -- but even after a day of seeming better, it flairs back up. Her pain is pretty much constant. Anyone have any ideas or had this before?
Hello, I also have been having back pain when taking a deep breath. Also have a spot where my rib meets the sternum that is painful. I went to a chiro and they found ribs out of place that has been the cause for the pain. Look up rib subluxation and see if her symptoms are similar.
It could be hundreds of things. Not much information given, or description of the exam..
It could be: gastritis, gallbladder, kidney stones, costrachondritis, cyst, muscle spasms, etc...

Did they consider ectopic pregnancy?  
If they did not look for possible ectopic pregnancy, I would go to the DR. very soon, and have that looked into.
With the pain being on the left, I would suspect a left tubal (ectopic) pregnancy.