Back & Neck Community
Pars fracture repair??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Pars fracture repair??

March 2013  was recently told i have a Pars Fracture of L5. I probably had this fracture since about 1990 or so, and it has caused me a lot of grief, pain and some immobility at times.  I have learned to cope with it, but it has restricted me in much activity such as simple garden work, running, diving (anything that requires jumping or landing on feet) carrying loads...

I would like to have this fracture "fixed".  I have no idea if it is L5-S1 lippage that is causing my issues, or if the ends of the fracture are somehow rubbing or causing friction or pain.

Is there a procedure to repair a Pars fracture that does NOT require fusion of L5-S1 and if so, who do I contact??

Cheese
Hi there!

Unfortunately there limited surgical techniques that can be used for repair of chronic fractures, since chronic fractures are unlikely to respond well to conventional modes of management and a repair may typically require vertebral fusion; though it is best advised to discuss the situation and the possible management options in detail with your treating neuro-surgeon/ orthopedician.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!