Back & Neck Community
Pea-size lump above collarbone causing neck and shoulder soreness?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

I have a pea-size lump about 2 inches above my collarbone and to the right of center on my neck.  It is wedged between 2 muscles, and it is very movable.  I had it checked by my GP, who told me that in her opinion it was most likely a little cyst, and not to worry about it unless it grew in size.  It hasn't grown, but I have since noticed that when I press on the muscles to either side of the lump, those muscles are unbelievably tense, and that tension is contributing to chronic pain in the muscles on the right side of my neck and shoulders.  In addition, I often have numbness in the first three fingers of my right hand, soreness in my right forearm and bicep, and soreness in my right hip.  These may all be unrelated, but my left side is not bothered by the same type of pain.  I am an active person, excersize and stretch regularly.  Any thoughts about whether the cyst could be affecting the nerves on the right side of my body?  The GP said removing it would be very difficult because it is sort of deeply buried between those muscles, and near lots of arteries and veins.  Should i get a second opinion from an oncologist?  
Hi there!

A second opinion from an oncologist would not be necessary. If the mass is not growing and is freely movable, it is unlikely to be cancerous. However your symptoms may or may not be related to the lump, depending on its location. I would suggest getting these evaluated by your primary care physician initially and depending on the cause suspected/ diagnosed, it can be managed accordingly or specialist care may be sought.
Hope this helps.

Take care!