Back & Neck Community
Post surgical pain after cervical disc replacement

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Pain after having an artificial disc replacement~
I had ruptured discs at c5, c6, c7 and the surgery was to use an artificial disc at c6 to alleviate pain.
Right after surgery, I felt great, but about 2 years post surgery, started having pain again.
Now, and dealing with severe headaches that start at the base of my skull, and are like tension headaches.
Also, severe muscle spasms in upper back and shoulder areas (both sides) that are not responding to muscle relaxers, exercise, massage, or ultra sound therapy.
Help! Need some advice!
Had an MRI and MRA about 3 weeks ago, that show no reason in the brain as to why I am having such bad headaches, there is no rhyme or reason to the episodes either.
They can happen in an instant and can go away quickly or linger for a day or two.
The disc is the Prestige artificial disc, and I am involved in a study group.
The doctor that did the surgery says that the pain I am experiencing is not from the disc itself, so he is no help.
I feel like my shoulder and the sides of my neck are constantly tensed up, and I can crack or pop my neck sometimes and that relieves the pressure, but some days, the pain is so intense, I just want to take something to make it all go away!
I do have an office job, but try to get up and walk around the office often, and I do exercise often, walking, SCUBA diving, light weight lifting.
Any suggestions would be great!
I had an artificial disc replacement,-- C5-6 the Bryan artificial disc in March 2004.
I am now experiencing pain in my other arm and back of my neck.  I am in the study here in Reno, Nev.  I was rear ended in 2005, 1-1/2 years ago. I have just recently started having this right arm /neck pain.  Something is just not right.-?I am taking percocet almost every day,had an x-ray and they said everything looked ok.  i am now waiting for an approval for MRI - somethingis not right in my neck!!  I AM GETTING NERVOUS ABOUT THE PAIN. I will keep you posted.  anyone else with problems 2 years after adr??
I am thinking that something is not alright with my neck after hearing all of you out there with the same issues!
I feel like the muscles in my neck and shoulder have been injured or something.
I only take a muscle relaxer when I feel I really need it, but have been living with pain for way too long now!
I am still active in the study group for Spokane, Washington, but am having my x-rays taken here in Saipan.
Mrs. Beads, please keep me posted on your MRI!
I am ready to call my Doctor today and tell them something has to be going on in my neck!
My husband had the prestige disc placed in his cervical spine in Oct. 2006. Although the pain is different from prior to the surgery, he has headaches, the weather really effects him and he is in constant pain, activity can really make things worse. It is like the pain(after the surgery) has never gone away. Some days are really bad other days are not. It is really hard to find information from others who have also had pain post surgery. We are not thrilled with the thought of injections that may or may not work and are concerned about the prossibility of taking meds for the rest of his life. I am glad for the post, I wish there were study results somewhere. It has been a long hard road, if anyone has had experience with anything that really helps with the pain, muscle aches and headaches I would truly appreciate hearing from them.
Ok.. I am not losing my mind. I have had 2 fusions C4-C7. in one year. Still in pain. Different pain than before the surgeries. Numbness in right index finger. Pain in left shoulder and numbness in shoulders that radiates up my neck. Recently went to a different Dr. and they said SECOND opinion. My x-rays shows one of my cages is crooked. I am so scared after having 2 surgeries already, Thought it was in my head. NOT!   Weather affects me.. good days and bad. I hear crunching in my neck when I move my neck certain ways. Recent Dr. said my neck is crooked..too. Looking for answers.  
Renee In Texas
I had c6&7 May 07 and am in more pain then be for I had the surgery.  I am taking pain meds but do not no for how much longer. The pain is unreal funs down the back of my neck down my left shoulder my arm hand numdness in my ring and little finger I have also have mind bending head ach  I can call them that because I have a history of bad head ach, and these are not the same.  I have had mri of my head and neck I am told that there is no reason for the pain.  PLESAE HELP   PLEASE  
I just found this forum and I am looking for help if there is any.  I read some of the comments and just about burst into tears.  I had a car accident in Nov.'07 and just had a Prestige Artificial Disk replacement done on Jan'08.  I had a ruptured disk with two bulging above and below. The doctor said this would help but by the end of January, I have had a severe headache every day.  I also have shooting pain through the left shoulder blade and left arm.  Muscles hurt all the time feel so much tension.  I thought I was just needing to get through for a few months but doesn't seem to get any better. He also said it looked a little crooked at the last check-up after surgery but thought it was my posture. I am going for my 3 month check up this next week and looking to see if this is normal.  Any help on questions to ask my doctor would be great.  They are trying to lower my dosage of pain meds but I can't function with all this nagging pain.  Is this normal?  Any response is welcomed!  God bless you all!
My friend just found this for me.  I had the Kineflex Disc Repleacement in April 2006.  I awoke with some pain in my neck.  Within 3 weeks I had a headache that has never gone away.  The pain has a life of it's own.  It grows in intensity so that about every 6-10 days I am stuck in bed for 1-2 days with a really headache, sometimes so bad that I have been stuck on the bathroom floor.  I have managed to have a child through all of this and am terrified that she is going to grow up with a mother who cannot get out of bed to play with her.  It is horribly dibilitating and somewhat frustrating to live in this body that I no longer recognize.  I wish someone could find the answer.  I take 9 medicines a day and that is only keeping me functioning, which I guess is a blessing.  Does any one else feel this way?
I didn't have the disks replaced but I did have a two level fusion (C5-C7) in Nov 2006.  My pain is much worse since surgery and no one can explain why.  I've just found out that the disk below the fusion is ruptured now.  I also have two small children and feel so guilty for not being the mother I should be due to the constant pain and depression. I don't know if this will ever end. I know exactly how you feel, sdelbaggio. I take 14 pills a day plus a pain patch.
Had fusions done with fusion cage, rods, etc.
Have pain daily. Working in the construction industry probably doesn't help things.
As mentioned above some days are worse than others and everything from headaches to leg cramps, neck and back pain.
Feel like the best I have to look forward to is a life on pain meds and all the side effects that go along with that.
I had two discs replaced C5/6-6/7 on 4/9/08.So its been almost 4 months.I was coming along good until recently.I have been going to physical therapy 3x a week,in the pool,hardly any meds just klonopin at night.Now all of a sudden I'm in so much pain.Much like what your all discribing.Pain on my left side of my head,up into my head,down my back ,pain,pins and needles.The doctor says Oh your muscles took on bad habits from all the years of pain(before the surgery)So now the physical therapist is stretching my neck .I don't want to take pills.I'm out of work on disability.I really thought I was cured now I'm so deppressed.I think just the amount of X-rays that we are all getting may kill us I'm so worried about taking pills(my best friend died from perscription pill abuse) (also severe chronic pain)I was on Morphine(kadian)before the surgery.I don't know what to do.Sometimes I think my husband does'nt even listen to me anymore(although hes great does everything for me)He thinks I should be better and tells everyone I am.Thanks for listening----
Hi I am 33 years old. I had c 5-6 fused in 2006. This surgery went great! I had a bit of weakness left over on my right side, nothing incredibly noticable. This april I underwent my second surgery c4-5. Prior to the surgery I had severe weakness down the right side of my body, and burning in both hands and feet. The disc ruptured out onto my spinal cord. Since the surgery I have had three MRI's and a mylenogram. I kept thinking I ruptured another disc because I have leg cramps, arm cramps, that come and go. I now have burning in my hands and feet??? My symptoms wax and wane? I take vicodin sometimes as well as tramadol. I am so paranoid about rupturing another disc. The pain I can live with but the burning sensations are horrible! The doctors don't see anything wrong with my surgery sites. There is nothing there to cause these problems. They tell me it takes many months up to a full year for nerves to heal, depending on the severity of compression. They say I am taking a while to heal, and I may never get better? Any body else feel like this? thanks
Haven't been on in a while. I do have some information that may or may not help with the headaches. While I still have a lot of pain, I am told I have nerve damage which may take a while to heal. I still take up to 3 somas a day and 3-4 norco a day but my Neuroscience specialist sent me to a headache specialist and they put me on a drug called DHE-45. I had to take it over memorial wkend. My husband had to give me 2 shots a day for 5 days and they gave me a drug called topamax (anti-seizure med.). I do feel it shocked my system and the headaches are only there maybe once a week. It did allow me to pin point more of where my pain was. The headaches used to keep me in my bedroom with the curtains closed. Now I can at least feel human again. I did take myself off of the topamax because it causes your hands and feet to feel like they are sleep all the time. Very irritating. Maybe this may help some of you, at least with the headaches. God bless you all!
I just had a C5/C6 Prodisc C artificial disc replacement  on 29 Sept 08. I am still in severe pain. The Norco meds make me sick and I am experiencing additional increased pain on both sides of the neck, shoulders....I don't feel any better. I was suprised the doctor did not precribe therapy, soft collar and he scheduled my follow up appt for 30 days latter. No instructions on should I change the bandages or care to see me sooner. This was a Dept Veterans Affairs operation that was contracted out due to backlog. I hope I get better with time. If they recommend this operation, I recommend you do not see my doctor due to lack of concern & or passion for his patiences.....
I am truly sorry for any one who has to go through this type of surgery and pain.  I had my Prestige Disc replacement C5/C6 done on Jan. 8 2008.  I had a check-up appt. about 3 weeks after the replacement.  I was put in a soft collar and had mobility pretty much right after. I felt pretty good for the first few weeks but then the pain set in.  I have had alot of pain ever since. I am still on the Norco and Soma's daily.  My doctor prescribed physical therapy around May.  They said not every one has to have therapy but I also have severe Fibromyalgia. They want to make sure the disc stays in good shape and form before they do therapy.  They should also give you something for the nausea. I have a CTscan/spinal tap scheduled to make sure everything is ok.  From all the research I have done regarding this it seems that just about everyone still has symptoms but I would still recommend this surgery for the mobility.  My disc was ruptured and fragmented very badly, I had no choice. This forum has helped me in the sense that I know I am not imagining what I am going throughand it's good to talk to other people going through the same thing that you are. Can you get a different doctor? That might be a start for you. God Bless you.
I had two fusion surgeries within the past 2 years.  I too am now experiencing tingling in my fingers and neck and shoulder pain.  My doc prescribed vicodin and a muscle relaxer and physical therapy.  So far, nothing is working.  I desperately need to get advice on now what to do.   My doc won't order another MRI, he just looked at the one I had 9 months ago and went on that.  Is that normal?
Has anyone ever had a myelogram done?  If so what do I have to look forward to? I am having it done on wed. They told me the procedure takes about 80 mins and that I have to lay down in the car when I go back home. Our drive home is about 2 hrs. Just trying to plan ahead. Any help would be grateful.
I had **** fusion c5/c6 in may 2006 and i was doing great till few months ago. INow I have disk bulging in c4/c5 and thinking about prestige disck replacement. any one had fusion first and then disc replacement?
Ive had a two level disc replacement done and am still having leg and back pain. Doctors telling me i shouldnt be having any pain so hes sending for an mri has anyone had any problems with the new disc replacements
I had a prodisc replacement May 13, 2009.c 5-6. I like many others I've read have severe muscle pain and spasm. My muscles in my shoulders and shoulder blades are constantly enlarged and spasming.Very frustrating. My motion is better from left to right but up and down is excrutiating. I go tomorrow for my 1 month follow up but the jury is still out on this surgery being successful. Still taking the pain meds, but nerve pain is better, now I have to see how long it takes to heal the damage.
I see a lot of the same problems here; I hope this will help someone; I had cervical fusion in late 2005. Was nauseous and ill for well over a month after; and extreme pain going up back of head; and right sided neck muscles tense and hard; was horrible; lost 40 pounds. Had aweful burning down arms for a bit afterwards too. In summary ,the post surgery was way worse than the surgery. And the doctors could not say why, and some put me on a lot of drugs and, I feel, treated me a bit like a widget on a factory floor.

Anyway, a couple of things helped; no. 1 was time; I am still  not right after three years but better than post surgical; 2. I think light massage and warm showers can help to reduce muscle tension; 3. they had me on a ton of meds, including vicodin, which ultimately make things worse. I think getting off the drugs helps if at all possible and 4. I found one drug to be helpful with minimal effects for me; Klonopin; it is for anxiety but was given to me to try as a light muscle relaxant, and it worked without many side effects at all; just a low dose is just enough to relax the muscles a little without getting in the way of function; reduces the tension and takes the edge off; the pain killers post surgery were making me crazy and a doctor suggested stopping all drugs possible and just a light dose of Klonopin and it took the edge off and made things somewhat manageable. I don't know if this will work the same for any of you, but there you are if it helps.

Anyway, hope this helps someone at least get to functional; now I need to figure out how to actually feel good again because although it is liveable now, it still rarely feels good and often hurts...but at least now liveable and thank God for that; never give up!  best regards
i had a prestige disc put in my c-7 in 2007 was taken out in 2008 and a 2 level fusion was proformed.  c-6 c-7 cages were installed.. the artif. disc.. was crooked ended up not being a candidate for that. still have major headaches..right side shoulder neck area and my 4th and 5th finger go to sleep all the time. had emg done had evidence of alnur nerve damage.. going to see a rehab med doctor fri hope he can help
i think the artif disc damaged my c-8 nerve or something i got hurt at work in may of 2007 had shoulder surgury and two neck surguries. i want the doctors to take a xray of my whole spine but they have not  any  going through the same thing help me out please they have me working 4 hours a day in a office and i am driving 84 mile a day to work it is torsher driving really make me flare up . i can hardly stand it anymore..i am take 6 vicoden and 8 tramadol a day to deal with this and driving on this many med scares me thanks john sorry if i bored you this is the first time i have posted something on the internet....
I had c5-c6 disc removal/fusion.  It has bee 2 weeks now and I still have pain in the right upper arm area.  Like someone is stabbing me.  Anyone else????
I have had the c3-4 fusion, with cadaver bone and the plates and screws.  Then had to go back in and have c5-6 done.  This was over two years ago and I too suffer from all the symptons most of you have.  I have also gone through all of the so called "remedies".  None have worked for me either.  Some of you have asked for more pain meds; but non of you have mentioned how hard these are on you liver or the fact that you are constently constipated.  Most of the Drs. recommend pain mangagement, which I think is BS... I don't want to manage it, I want it to go away.  Sometimes I wonder if the pain is from the plate and the screws we have in our neck and have thought of going back to my Neuro Surgeon to ask him to remove them.  But now I see that even people with the artificial discs, with no plate and screws have the same symptons.  Now I don't know what to do....Is Dr. House the only physician that can cure anyone these days???
Had disc replacement C6-7 4 days ago w/prestige disc.  Had herniated disc into spinal canal. Was in excruciating pain before in upper back, shoulder.  Severe left arm pain.  Woke up from surgery, all pain gone (except sore throat).  Felt like I could run a marathon.  Meds have worn off which has slowed me down some.  Having some upper back pain and cramping, residuals from surgery.  Drastic improvement from the nerve pain.  Feeling best thing I have ever done at this point.  Will keep you informed.  Did try accupuncture for pain before surgery, did help some.
Which hospital did you go for your disc replacement? I'm currently being evaluated at Kaiser Permanente and I just want to know if this is a good hospital if in case I decide to have disc replacement surgery.
How are you feelin' now? Like you, I have disc protusion in the same area and I'd like to gather results of disc replacement surgeries before I make my decision. Can you also let me know which hospital you went? Thank you.
I hope this gives some off you hope. I have a two level fusion in m neck 7/23/09. I am 35 yrs old. First off this ***** and I feel for all of you that have undergone this surgery. However, at this point I have no pain, or very mild pain and have gotten used to it. I have no headachs and other than a loss of movement which is obviously noticible I am doing great. I think I have lost about 20 percent mobility, give or take. I think for those of you who are having the surgery, you need to check who your surgen is, and go slow. I wore a hard collar neck brace for 4 months. I let it fully heal before I did anything. The only problem I have is after excersize I soemtimes have numbness in my hands. But after reading soemof these stories I think I am doing well.If I cnanswer any questions I would love to help.
I had Discs replaced with my own bone and have titanium plate and screws. This was 12 years ago. I had some relief, but not as much as hoped. I worked as a nail tech before and after. eventually had to quit. I too have been having the same symptoms. Pressure and headaches. Nausea from the pain. very tired during the day. Then can't sleep as I can't lay my head down on the pillow. The pressure is so bad, I am continually changing positions. There is no area on my head that lets me relax without pressure. I have asked over the years if the plate and screws need to come out. To me it feels like an ice pick inside trying to get out! Of all the intern, residents that rotate in and out of the facility I have been to. No one wants to consider it may just be the hardware has over stayed its welcome? I know my body pretty well, I took myself off all the "pain management" meds that Dr's say I need. I have nerve burnings done 1X a year. This is different pain than what my original surgery was for.Along with the pressure and numbness at the base of my skull,my lips hurt and itch go numb. Even my teeth at my gums hurt and itch inside. ( the only description I can think of) weakness in my arms and hands. I just wonder if anyone post op from a DF of C5 thru C7 has had any similar problems?  It's been 12 almost 13 yrs. The neuro surg. told me hardware only comes out if it becomes a problem. So who can tell that? The Dr. just wants to give me pills. I'm done with that. I only take what I have to so I don't loose my mind right now. They make me sick to my stomach.
I had C-7 replaced in June 10 , prior to surgery i could go to the gym and do whatever i wanted, now i can do a push up or bend 1/3 what i use to.
I am on active duty and now i am being medboarded out of the Service because now i can't carry out my duties, thanks to the great surgeon.
My left arm now is 2 inch smaller than it was and my tricep waves like an old ladies. So if you are thinking about have a disc replaced, DON'T the pain you are having now is about half what it will be later, and now my Military career is over .
Here's my deal - I have 2 hern. disks high up C2-C3, C3-C4, something like that - most of the horror stories I see are for farther down, although I don't see a lot of stories like your's (higher up the column - more NECK than upper back)

I have yet to have the surgery - same deal for people we know - horror stories of pain, migranes (migraines).

I'm scared to death, but the pain is so bad - my herniated, bulging disks are pressing on my spinal column - when I put my head back, my right arm and hand feel like I'm sticking my finger in a light socket.  I have to think it's because of this, because there is always the numbness in my hand, and when I went for my traction treatments, I felt like a million bucks for about a half hour - no numbness.

The pain get's really bad - I had some left over acedemenphine/hydrocodone that work like "magic pills" - some side effects of mild withdrawl (withdrawal), but very minor - but I'm scheduled to be laid off in 6 months, and I don't know what to do

The neck brace - do you wear it all day ? Can you take if off to shower ?
I had a 2 level diskectomy with fusion using cadaver bone. my levels were c4/5 and c5/6. My surgery was Jan 19th and I wore the hard brace for about 8 1/2 weeks. I still wear it when I sleep. I had tried not wearing it while sleeping when I was weaning myself off the brace, but I woke up not very happy. Most days I am pretty pain free, but if I push myself, I can experience some bad pain at the base of my skull and some of the same numbness and tingling in my arm.
I still have pain pills and muscle relaxers for when that happens.
I did have a rubber brace when I showered, but have not worn that in a long time.
I had a prestige artificial disc installed Jan 13 of 2011 and since then the pain has remained I have less pain than prior to surgery but am always in pain and suffer from terrible headaches I feel bad everydAY it is brutal since I am a landscaping foreman and my company does not know of this since it could cost me my job best wishes for all of us
I had disc replcement at c-6 & c-7 and have been having trouble ever since the surgery.Still having with muscle spasm in left tri sept area,feels like someones got thier hands around my throat cutting my wind off,specially when i'm laying down at night ,burning still in cervical area when at the computer even short periods of time.I would never recommend this surgery to anyone who is still able to somewhat bare the pain .If i had had it to do over i would just go to ciro doctor and meds when i needed them.Its been 6 months into this ,still no positive results.
I had disc surgery in my 2/3 or 3/4 very close to my head.. when the head started going to sleep and the pain was unbearable... i had suregery.. well, I have a tumor or (hemangioma sp?) inside disc 7.. the docs say since I had the rupture removed.. I should be fine.. NOT.. still having severe pain in neck, right shoulder, head and jaw.  I am sick of it.. I stand on my feet all day, work with children i'm only 50 and I want a productive life and I feel so much pain most of the time it's crazy.. I do get vicodin but they only help for a short period and some days I have to take more than others and they are 7.5s.  I try and not take them all the time but what can you do when your in so much pain.. don't want surgeries unless I have no choice.. the doc said he could apply radiation to the hem. (tumor) but changed his mind.  it's inside my c7 disc and bulging.. any one with any suggestions.. ive tried physical thereapy.. love the massage can do the exercise at home and it really doesnt help without pain killers it makes it better for a minute and worse for longer.. i have to plan my yard work around my pain.. and I work full time... 2 jobs..... help someone please... with a worth while suggestion.. I don't mind taking the pills they dont do anything except ease the pain, and I'm not worried about addiction im to busy for that and can't let this get me down...so if you have had the same thing, know a decent dr. in the s'vill ,  or chas are i'd be most grateful.. thanks  t
Had ADR c4-5 last december.
I am experiencing pain and numbness tingling in my rt arm, spasms, and sympptoms like b4 replacement! what could it b? feels serious but do not want to overreact thanx
disc replacement c5,6 July/2011 2 years before surgery I had numb pinky moderate to severe pain in neck causing pain on left side like in a triangle pattern from neck to shoulder half way down left side and back to neck causing muscle cramping. It is now 11/16/11 I have severe pain left side of neck still causing muscle cramping, but pain is more isolated to neck and half way to shoulder and upper back left side. So not much as changed except my doctors because I'm stuck in the worker's comp system I beleive the pressure from SAIF to release me is greater then the desire to stand by me or getting close. Think twice before having surgery because after surgery no one wants to say it just didn't work the doctors would rather think your a liar or something else is causing it. Suck it up Doctors your not perfect help those in pain because its hard enough on us. GOD BLESS RANDY G
I feel your pains! I had a surgery on my neck ten years ago. The pain has been pretty manageable until this point. started working 5 days a week, and assumed the pain was from that. But I have been getting sharp shooting pains at the top of my head the last couple of days.  shoulders and neck are having spasms, along with my right hand, and right side. hopefully nothing is wrong.  Have never had to take muscle relaxers this often before. I feel better for a half an hour or so but it continues.  
I had a ADR of C5/6 about 2 1/2 weeks ago, now I'm having numbness in my thumb in my right hand. I have been told and showed on the MRI that C4/5 is herniated to the right but was not bad enough to do anything with, but now I'm wondering if the disc is herniated more which is causing these symptoms.
I too was scheduled for surgery, but didn't have it. I have managed my pain by going to a massage therapist, and yes physical therapy does help. I wouldn't ever let a Chiro touch my neck since one wrong move and I would be paralyzed. I am a single mom with a herinated disc at C3 and C4, and bulging disc from C4-C7. My mom had the surgery except they didn't put the plate in her neck, that has been over 30 years ago and she is doing Great. She had some Awesome doctor's at the Texas Back Institute, I want to say it was Dr. Rashbaum not sure but a lot of famous people go there, The doctor in Florida wanted to put the plate and screws in my neck and I don't mind the bone but a plate what if my bones get brittle or I am involved in a bad wreck, that plate is sharper then my bones, and it seems that would more likely cut my spinal cord. my disc are indenting my cord as we speak, but after hearing all the issues I think I will take my chances till it gets worse. I know from my schooling that if you have a disc fused it usually only last 10 years then you need to have the disc above and below the fusion replaced due to weight and pressure so if you gain weight expect more problems!!!! If your Primary Care doctor is a D.O,, even better since they have the knowledge of Bones and take a more Homeopathic approach. I was also told that I could sleep in a cervical soft collar and use it if I had a lot of computer work to help support my neck so it wouldn't be over worked, the best advise I would give is to really know your body if it doesn't feel right and it hurts see another doctor. Ask a friend or a Physical Therapist who you Trust!!! Who they would have as a neck surgeon, since they are the one's treating after Surgery. Moist heat, massage, manual traction, 4 ibprophine, sometimes ice are what works for me.  
Wow, I am 28 and I had this surgery 5 months ago! I had a disk replacement in Roseville ca.  They sent me home with NO after care, pt, anything. I have such horrible pain. Tried nortriptalyn, gabapaten, reflation, and now a pain gel (nasdaq.). I have the worst pain down my left side neck, a bounded cactus pain under my brain, and in shoulder blades. Now, new pain on right side that never had before. At night I toss and turn, lay on my husband, dogs, anything with a different temperature at night;( So miserable!! Ct scan came back normal. Going for second opinion tomorrow. Something is wrong!!!!!! I have a 30lb son and am a cosmetologist. I am self employed. No workers comp. nothing fake. Just in pain!!!
I had my C5/C6 replaced in June 2010.  Immediately after the surgery I lost feeling in my right trapezis and deltoid.  Also I have excruciating burning pains that run down my neck and into my right trapezis.  I still have no feeling in my deltoid . It's been almost 2 years and there has been no improvement and I remain in pain management.

I've had 2 CT mylograms that show the disc is not impenging (sp) the nerve (That they can see) The surgeon literally refuses to see me and I've been to two other Nueros and no one can see where the pain is coming from.  I've wondered if this is just an issue with the device but my surgeon (before he dumped me) says all his other patients are doing just fine.  

Sorry I don't have any news that helps but to say the CT mylogram may tell you if the nerve is been "crimped"
I had the same surgery and ended up in the hospital because the headache got so bad I couldn't stand, had tons of tests on my head... Once in the hospital they realized it was caused by my neck. My muscles were in such spasm that they pulled my spine out of alignment so it was perfectly straight pinching off the nerves in my head, the left side was tighter so it mostly was the right side of my head, I even list vision in my right eye.

I am still dealing with the headache, but nothing like it was back in August and the first week of September when I was in the hospital.

I find that trigger point injections of lidocane into the worst muscle knots by my Dr and putting flector patches on my neck help the most, along with valium, and actually even adding ibprofen to my pain meds helps because it is an anti inflamitory med... Sorry you are dealing with this.... I really do feel your pain. Good luck! And to others with unexplained pain... Try more muscle treatments, manual physical therapy, massage, acupuncture, lots of heat, biofreeze..  
was your disc made of heavy metal? not titanium?
I had the Prestige Disc put in 1 week and a half ago.  C5/C6 and I am having terrible right should pain and headaches.  The pain and tingling down my right arm is now gone but I trade up to a new pain.  My doctor told me is was part of the healing process but I dont know if the surgery was the right choice.  I am only 32 and scared to know what the future hold.

Hi there,

I had neck-fusion done, Titanium discs for C5,6,7 and I am now 1 year post-op.  I am 36 and had a neck injury (ice-skating accident) about 17 years ago.  I still get occasional headaches and neck spasm and still go for Physio when needed.  Physio told me that due to the disk-replacement the C4+ now has to do the job and in future even that might cause issues and need replacement.

I am very very glad that I had the surgery and wish I had it done a long time ago, when it started to cause nerve compression.  I do not miss those pains and tingling in right arm and severe neck spasms.  So for now I am okay.

Who knows how long it will take for the other discs to cause trouble again... in the meantime, just avoid activities that put strain on neck and get a program from a Physio if you decide to join a Gym, etc.
I had c5 / c6 disk replacement in March 2012 - don't know what brand, plus I had the titanium plate screwed into my cervical spine as well, and have had 2 MRI's and three xrays, and the pain is just TERRIBLE!  I can't get comfortable, it feels like my head is too heavy to hold up.  There is pain down my right arm into my hand, and my shoulders and neck are ALWAYS tense, tight, and in pain.  I'm in tears all the time.  I was referred by my neurosurgeon to a pain management doctor, and I've had 2 nerve blocks since the surgery, not helping much at all.  I don't know what else to do.  The pain doctor now wants me to get a doppler screening to see about possible Thorasic Outlet Syndrome...that appontment is next week - does anyone have any advice?  Please post.  Thanks.
I was getting blurred vision in my eyes so went to the optitians and they sent me straight to hospital, to be told i had optic neuritis which is a sympton for ms, so i now have 20% in my right eye. was all going well when i stared to get numb fingers then it was spreading up my hands and arms. i went back to the doctors and he sent me back to the neurologist for a MRI  scan.HE was 99% i had MS i had  phonecall about 2 days later from my specialist to tell me its to do with my neck and i would need a operation so wait for a appointment. a week later i had my appointment and it was that serious my spinal cord had completely squashed my spinal cord, they kept me in that day and said if they dont operate straight away i would be paralised.After the op i feel no different and keep tripping on my right leg,and have been told the feeling in my hands could take 3 years to come back or never at all.i have since became incontinent and been told i need pysio for life.
Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried quite a few of them, but feel like the only relief I get is from medication, stretching, and massage. I am doing my best to just deal with it, but it is hard. You know, trying not to complain about it and just make it work. Thanks again, keep me updated!
I just had the disc replacement surgery at C6/7 June 26. I still have all the nerve pain and more numbness.  I'm so scared that this is permanent. I was t-boned in a car accident a year ago.  Docs tried meds, PT, multiple ESI's, TENs unit...now surgery.  My disc was herniated, ruptured and pressing on my spinal chord.  The discs above and below are herniated, but not as bad.  I'm so tired of being in pain and was so hopeful that I would wake up and be a new person.  So not the case.  I have yet to get true sleep/rest because no matter how I lay, my arms go numb...all the way to my hands.  I have pain and muscle spams that sit in both my shoulders and radiate down my arms.  My left arm is considerably weaker...but that was the case before surgery, since the accident.  I go back Monday for my post op appointment and just don't know what to expect.  I'm 36 years old with 3 very active kids.  I work full time and I just don't see how I can continue to do it all when folding one load of laundry is too painful to stand...while on meds.  I do my best to hide the pain because it worries y family...but I have realized I feel so all alone dealing with it.  
Thanks for any helpful suggestions...and for reading.
K2
I feel as though im in the same boat as you.  Single mom of two. Car reck. herniated disks. My c6-7 replaced with an artificial disk. Horrible shoulder and neck pain.  Still tingles. About the only positive thing is I can rotate my head better on what was the worse side.  On pain pills and they just barely take the edge off. had to stop physical therapy on neck b/c of swelling or at least that's what they think is causing it. Gonna continue with the upper back. I too can't do anything with more pain being caused. Just ***** beyond belief all b/c I was in a car reck from someone not watching where they are going.  Sorry for your pain and I do hope it gets better for you.
Had C6 and C7 replaced in May in Walla Walla WA, Still have a pain in neck, 3 fingers on my right hand are numb which was not there before....I have hard time lifting my head up from my pillow at night, Headaches that I did not have before......It take my breath away at times.... Dr. said that the hardware looks good and released me to go to work!!!
Hello I'm in pain, can't lift my grandchildren that don't even weight 30 pounds..
It has been 3 months hopefully this will get better, I'm a care giver and this is amazing that the trauma that your body goes through muscle spasm that are not fun at all, and the Dr. says that you good to go you are know bionic!!
Did I make the right Decision on having this operation??? To late know

I'm 39 & live in Puyallup WA. I've went 22months needing surgery on C5/C6, but also have an underlying congenital disorder which affects my connective tissue. The first surgeon immediately wanted me to have a fusion. I asked about any other alternatives & he refused. I was referred to a different Ortho, who sent me in for my first, of a total of 4 Epidurals. First one worked great, the second & fourth did nothing.
  After exalting my other options, massage, NUCCA, & acupuncture, I could no longer keep from staring @ the ground. Both my insurances would NOT cover the disc replacement, & just last week my parents decided to just pay the $$ & get me scheduled. My surgery is tomorrow @ 6:45am. I'm having the Prestige pro disc c. I'll keep you posted on how everything turns out. All I know is I cannot imagine the pain/numbness/nerve issues being any worse than they already are! Please say a prayer!
I'm getting the prestige artificial disk in 10 days, I got to reading about it and if you have a allergy to stainless steel you are not a candidate, long story short, it contains nickel and other metals, I'm getting tested for metal allergies Monday . If you are having issues it could be you are having a allergic reaction to the metal.
In March 2012 while at work I had a coffee mug shattered on the back of my head right side. The pain in neck and head started immedetly. Went to Er Dr said have some ibprofun your fine. Even though told him headache pain in neck pain shotting across from ear to eye blurred vision. Went to WC Dr he sent to Nueroligest he digenoist Post Concussion syndrome . Sent for MRI herniated disk C6 C7 . Sent for PT cause more pain in neck and head. PT said they weren't doing any good just causing more pain . Sent to Pain Management put on all sort of meds. No relief. Got different Pain Management Dr. Cause 1 st one wouldn't listen to me. Present Pain Management Dr. awsome . Listens wnderstands . Did . No relief. I was still working took 8 days off after injury . I have been in extreme pain neck shoulders and headaches . I have never had headaches before. Musle spasms in my chest down both arms. Worse in left are down to fingers numbness tingling in fingers. Not sleeping well waking up from pain in neck and headache musle spasms. Also issuses with memory lose severe agitation , anger out bursts. My pain specialist stated he felt my only opition was surgery. I had said from the start no surgery. Well the pain was so servere. Anything I did was causing pain. I was very active up to point of injury. I agreed with surgery. Praying for relief. Well on Jan 4 2013 is 3 months since surgery. I see my surgeyn on the 4 th. I have had no relief I had fision c6 c7. The pain is worse then before rhe surgery. I ve been out of work for 3 months. Its been a misreable time .taking pain meds musle relaxers. I'm on WC so I'm greaful to be getting a pay check. I can't do wnything .  I have no Idea what is to come from Dr appt on Thursday.  Also having severe sweating problem , with a nasty order . I don't know I at my wits end ! I always been very active. I'm 52 and have lost my freedom . My life is at a stand still. And I don't see any relief from pain anytime soon . I'm grateful to have found this site, it makes a big difference not to be alone . Thank you . Will let you know how appt goes . You are all in my prayers and thoughs  
i had c5/6 c6/7 discs replaced in october 2012 after being in severe pain for 18 months. I was told i would wake up and feel pain free i am in more pain now and all i get told is it will get better ! I am not able to work at the moment and everything i do makes it hurt , have more pain in right arm which i didnt have before its good to read other people experiences as it makes me feel like im not going mad !!
Hi there thank you for you post. I have been scrolling thru trying to find the most recent post that is similar to my own situation. I had c5,6,7 neck fustion - titanium plate & 6 bolts with spreading and cleaning out of discs cemented with cadaver ground bone on Aug 20, 2012. I did not have an accident... just usage, work and genes. Now 4mo's post surgery I am experiencing now and for the past two months acute spasms behind my neck that radiates out to the ears. Plus right should pain/ache down to my fingers, etc... My Neuro says that I'm fitting into the 20% of patients that have this done and have this problem. He said it's my muscles and related it to a lady who wears stilettos all her life and then goes to flats. That the muscles regect the idea of not having to work so hard, better room for them and try to stay where they have been trained to be over the years. I have an extension from him from work for another 12 wks. I sure hope I feel better by then. I miss my job and co-workers, feel guilty all the time and most the time feel alone in this situation. I have never taken pills before or had any type of medical problem. I'm 60 going on 30 and have always been active. Such a drag. I read the posts just so I can find that tunnel of light from someone in our situation that has broken thru the post surgery pain and are now doing great! So if there is anyone out there that is doing great now, let us know. I'm just looking for a timeline to recovery.
Had cervical ACD using Pro-disc C at C5/C6 on 12/19/12.  I'm a Dentist and "head forward" posture is how the majority of my work day is spent.  After the surgery, I had pain/stiffness as to be expected and took 3 weeks off from work. I can say with confidence that after 7 months I can function at work and play without pain.  I do not work out with heavy weights anymore, but instead stretch daily.  I also use a home device called the " posture pump" for about 15 minutes every other night.  The thing that was hardest for me was knowing that I literally "broke my neck" due to my workaholism and bad posture.  Everyone on this blog with pain remember to arm yourself with 2 things; knowledge and persistence.  If your pain is real and your surgeon or family Doctor wishes not to acknowledge it then move on.  Do not watch and wait as this is what resulted in chronic irreversible damage to your spine.  Find someone certified and well educated to review your MRIs/ x-rays, preferably someone that is not involved in capitalizing on your procedures!  With all that said, trust your gut and listen to your body.  Use medication as a temporary solution while relentlessly pursuing a CURE
Had a constant knot on my right shoulder and started to get tingling down my right arm.  MRI showed herniated disc between C6 & C7, so, had the Prestige cervical disc surgery in April of 2009, four years ago.  Knot is gone and tingling is better.  Prior to the surgery the doctor had put me on Valium to help alleviate muscle tension, which did help.  After the surgery the doctor switched me to Klonopin, a different Benzodiazepine.  While these medications do help, I strongly urge you to research the long term effects of the family of Benzos.   I found this web site: http://www.benzo.org.uk/ that really help me wean off of Klonopin, which after four years had taken over my life.  I’ve been off of the Benzos for 4 months.  I feel more lucid, but the headaches have gotten much worse.  I initially thought the Artificial disc was the root cause of my headaches, but after reading everyone’s entries, It appears these headaches occur with fusion too.  I find the longer I lay my head down the worse my headaches last, much the same as krazeekook4u’s May 12, 2010 entry states.  If anyone has a non-medication cure for the headaches please post it ASAP.  thnx
I hope you check back and let everyone know the outcome. Alot of us are going though the same thing and same tests.
I had c56 disc replacement in February 2013.  Surgery was great I don't have numbness tingling or pain in shoulder or back, but I had cracking and popping constantly in neck and aches in my head near where the skull meets the neck. Weirdness thing right after surgery, I would go to bed fall asleep, move and not right after but 3oo 4sec later my neck would pop. So loud my husband could hear it.  It seemed to have gone away 6 months after but has now returned since I have started doing more activities. To help .  I go back to what the pt told me in stretching my neck.  It helps instantly rid me of headaches. Sometimes I have to do it for awhile but it is worth it.   The stretch is simply pulling you chin up and back to the back of ur head. U can feel the stretch  Kinda like someone is pulling your jaw from the back. Posture has a lot to do with how you feel. Keep your shoulders down and head pulled up.  If you are on a device  or phone all day looking down. I found I have more headaches. Try keeping head and eyes forward.  Riding the lawn mower also bothers me with the bumpy ride so I have decided it isn't worth it.  You now have to limit yourself on activities.  Never thought I would have to do that.  It has only been 8 months. But I am trying to get stronger with  exercise and I believe it helps   I am hoping I will feel normal again soon.  Just keep trying to strengthen your muscles .  
Hey Everyone,

The doctors made me feel like an idiot but finding this forum, I realized that I am not the only one (in a weird way, I feel so relived that I a not alone). I was injured at work in mid June of 2013 which rendered me with absolutely no feeling in my left arm (as a musician, this took away something near and dear to my heart) and partial feeling in my right arm , between June and October I was under the care of workmans comp and for the entire time they treated me for a pulled muscle or  strain, the doctors a lot kept me in work without a care (I work in a warehouse where lifting is my main objective, so you could image how that went). After multiple X-rays, "second opinions'' PT visits and epidural injections they finally did an MRI which reviled that I had 4 ruptured/Herniated discs and crushed nerves. At this point workman comp and the doctors had suggested a full disc replacement. I fully accepted the offer after being in so much pain for so long, On November 18th I had the surgery for only one disc out of the 4 , thinking all was going to be alright- about 3 weeks following the surgery I felt a pop or break in my neck and the pain instantaneously returned, at my follow up appointment the doctors told me that it was normal sent me on my way and back to work. The following weeks produced more intense pain, headaches, vomiting, fevers, sweating and dizzy spells until I couldn't handle it any more. I went back to the doctors and he did an xray to find that the disc has shifted and dislocated. My workmans comp rep is now sending me to another doctor and this doctor is saying that there is nothing wrong with me and and the disc is fine. I guess what I'm trying to say is I am scare, and I am in pain and I feel like I am falling apart. this injury is ruining my life, my marriage and ruining my life with my daughter. I just do not know what to do anymore.