Back & Neck Community
Sciatica? Blood Clots?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Sciatica? Blood Clots?

Hi My name is rose and i'm worried about my mom. She has pain from her lower back down to her buttocks and thigh but then mostly the pain is in her claf. The MRI showed a bulding disc/ big disc which might be putting pressure on the nerve and from what i heard would mean sciaitca but i'm worried if she has a blood clot in her calf since theres more pain there and her toes and feet are soemtimes sort of numb. She used to have tingling sensations but it stopped but now sometimes she feels like her leg is burning. She's just statred taking anti-inflammtory medicine and just stopped taking pain killers. Plz tell me what the symptoms of blood clots are and plz tell me if she has it. Its her left leg if that helps

It seems sciatica. Symptoms of  blood clots occur in the affected leg when a clot obstructs blood flow and causes inflammation. Symptoms may include the following:
Swelling ,Gradual onset of pain ,Redness ,Warmth to the touch ,Worsening leg pain when bending the foot ,Leg cramps, especially at night ,Bluish or whitish discoloration of skin ,etc, so you mum is probably suffering sciatica. Take care!

Thanks for commenting Zak I'm really happy someone read it. We got the final report of my mom's MRI. Here its is:

No abnormality involving the lower thoracic cord or conus medullaris. there is partial sacralization of L5, a normal variant
Interpretation:
Large left L4-5 posterolateral disc protrusion with impingement upon descending L5 nerve root.

Also through all the lower discs the facet joints are normal. It also says:
L5-S1 there is partial sacralization ,unchanged. No disc bulging, disc herniation or spinal stenosis is present. the neural formina are normal

Please if anyone could help us. Any treatments you could recommended. i really want my mom to get cured. Is this dangerous? Plz need some answer.
Oh and thxs for the list of symptoms Zak. I dont think she has a blood clot anymore :) cuz she doesnt have redness, warmth to the touch,swelling (although her claf is getting weak), worsening when bending foot (actully that makes her feel better not worse) and bluish and whitening.
Thank you so much
:)   Less worrying on me but theres still some left