Back & Neck Community
Scoliosis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Scoliosis

I have recently read about a condition called Scoliosis. Aparently a person is born with this condition, where the spine is either curved in a S shape or a C shape. a Chiropractor once told me to see a Back and Spine specialist for the reason that my spine is curved in a S. I didnt pay much attention, because I've always lived in pain, but since I've turnd 19 two years ago, I've been expierencing all these symptoms of pain in my shoulders, wrists, elbows, knees, hips, ankles... Basicly every joint and bone in my body. the pain is not a muscular pain, but is in the bone. According to one of the websites, Scoliosis causes this, because it deteriates your bones, and makes it fragile, it can also cause your bone to crumble which will mean that you'll end up in a wheelchair. Its can aparently also cause Spinal Cancer, and seeing that my family has a long history of cancer on both sides, I'm more prone to this... I would please some answers on this desease. What is realy involved? What can one do? How long do I have? Is a spinal correction surgery the answer and worth it? Does it realy cause Spinal Cancer? I would realy apreciate it if someone could give me the answers. Thank you...
Hi...what u r dealing with is ur spine is not in alignment and can cause all those issues...there r ways depending on how badly ur spine is curved to have it corrected......

Scoliosis can also be the byproduct of another condition called tethered cord...do see a  specialist for this and see if u r a candidate for treatment to correct it b4 it gets worse.

Good luck
"selma"
I have scoliosis, in an S shape. it's 38 degrees which is quite bad.  I was not born with it, usually scoliosis develops in growing stage. such as puberty ect. i was diagnosed a year ago, when i was 15. I don't really get any pain, not severe. sometimes its slightly uncomfortable, i must admit. especially when sleeping, but exercises can definitely fix that.  surgery is an option, but only suggested if you are around 40 degrees (i am borderline surgery) although, if it bothers you that much you can get it if you wish. Honestly i don't intend on getting it, physio and posture are the main things to me.  And, ive never been told about the spinal cancer before by any of the specialists ive seen. All i can suggest is just, go and get an Xray and go from there. you'll be fine :)
i had the Op and it is amazing how different and how if affects breathing ... and that was only with a 'S' in the 70s and 80s .... my physio was blowing out a candle at home after the op and in hospital blowing into a straw into a balloon to try and blow it up..

feel free to ask bout my experience ......

The websites aren't correct. You aren't always born with it, it won't give you cancer, and won't deteriorate your bones. You would probably know by now if you had scoliosis, as they check at every doctors' visit.  You will not die from scoliosis..