Back & Neck Community
Severe Lower Trapezius muscle pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Severe Lower Trapezius muscle pain

Hi, I'm a 28 year old male personal trainer and semi-pro golfer, with no prior back issues.  Recently, I had what my chiropracter described as a displaced rib in the t7-t9 area.  After having him work on it, my back progressively got better except for the muscle in the lower left trapezius, which was constantly sore.  It has now gone to such excruciating pain throughout the trapezius (after trying massage and another chiro), that I am on the verge of giving up lifting and golf completely (which I have done neither of in the past 2 weeks, but my back is getting worse).  Any movement involving the left trap is nearly paralizing.  It all feels muscular, and there is no nerve pain or sensations.  HELP PLEASE!

P.S.
I have no insurance, so short of dire news or an absolute emergency, would like not to have to go into debt to heal myself.
Magnesium can help with sore muscles and is a natural supplement that is good for the body anyway.  I think it could be very helpful with your trap muscle soreness.  Below I have pasted some info and a lik to a sight where you can learn more.  I hope this help with your situation!

"Magnesium is involved in more than 325 biochemical reactions, some of the early symptoms of magnesium deficiency include body aches, chronic constipation, headaches and migraines, insulin resistance, PMS, leg cramps, muscle twitches, and more. Left untreated, a magnesium deficiency can lead to more life-threatening conditions such as heart disease, hypertension, stroke, type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis, and others.

Magnesium's role in energy production. One of the primary roles of magnesium is to activate the adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the energy storage molecule, to create and store energy. Without energy, there is no life.

Magnesium's role in relaxing muscles. Another primary role of magnesium is to work with calcium to help regulate the body's nerve and muscle tone. In many nerve cells, magnesium serves as a chemical gate blocker - as long as there is enough magnesium around, calcium can't rush into the nerve cell and activate the nerve. This gate blocking by magnesium helps keep the nerve relaxed. If our diet provides us with too little magnesium, this gate blocking can fail and the nerve cell can become overactivated. When some nerve cells are overactivated, they can send too many messages to the muscles and cause the muscles to overcontract. This chain of events helps explain how magnesium deficiency can trigger muscle tension, muscle soreness, muscle spasms, muscle cramps, and muscle fatigue especially in the back and legs where some of the body's largest muscles live."

http://www.jigsawhealth.com/products/magnesium_supplement.html