Back & Neck Community
Traps, Neck, and Back Pain
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Traps, Neck, and Back Pain

So to start, I had surgery to repair my torn labrum on my right shoulder back at the end of 2009. The surgery was arthroscopic, went really well. I wore a sling for a month and then did 3 months of rehab. After that, I slowly got back into lifting and exercising and within the year (2010), I was back to my old self lifting heavy and going all out at the gym. It was great and I didn't think I'd ever have a problem again. Wrong.

Later in the summer, I was doing shrugs (dumb and useless, I know) and ended up straining my trap muscle. I could barely move my neck and it was decently painful. After 3 days, it felt good and I thought I was fine. Within a week or so, I went back to the gym again and started off with my normal routine. My routine consisted of a lot of cycles, and there was virtually little to no rest. I would usually do something like calves or (prior to my trap injury) or shrugs or abs in between. This time, I went kinda heavy while doing a barbell curl and hurt my trap again. This was worse than the last time. I had to hold my head sideways for a couple days and it took a 2 weeks or so before I started feeling better. It just never felt right, though. I went to physical therapy and they pretty much told me that it was the way I carried myself, and that I needed to strengthen my back and such to carry myself properly. I guess they thought my shoulders were kinda rounded and I needed to roll my shoulder blades down and back. I did a lot of stretches and exercises that would strengthen my shoulder blades and what not. At the end of ,my weekly session, they would give me a good massage on my neck and upper back, followed by applying an ice pack for 20 minutes or so. They suggested I ice every night before bed for 20 minutes. After the massages, I would feel great and it would last for 4-6 days.

I never thought this diagnosis was 100% correct, and I still disagree with it. There's something else going on in my back/neck/traps.