Back & Neck Community
Twisted Spine?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Twisted Spine?

I've been having pain in my upper and middle back for over a year. I've had MRI and xrays done and no one can tell me what's wrong. I went to a back Dr at the Mayo Clinic thinking maybe he could tell me something. All he did was look at the results of my MRI and xray from over a year ago and tell me it's Fibromyalgia. I know I have Fibromyalgia but the pain in my back seems to be more in the spine itself. It hurts to lay down and to sit back against a chair. It gets really bad when I use my arms to do things like cooking, cleaning, dishes, driving etc. Or to reach, bend, or twist for something. He sent me to get physical therapy. The therapist said it looks like my spine is twisted - which is what I've been thinking for a long time. I can see that my top part of my body doesn't line up with the bottom part. The problem is that I can't seem to find a Dr who wants to help me or who will listen to me. My chest gets tight and hurts and I feel like I have the air squeezed out of me. So they checked my heart. Nothing.
I guess what I want to know is will therapy help a twisted spine or should I see another Dr or chiropractor? I've been to chiropractors with no help.
I just want some relief from all the pain and would like a Dr who will actually look at my spine
We have similar problems, although I’ve already had neck and back surgery. My pain gets really bad too when I do dishes, type and do other things with my arms. Reaching is hard and I have very severe upper back pain. All this I’ve been told, is referred pain from my cervical spine, it’s a mess. I had surgery 5 years ago for this, now I have to have another one.

Did you have a cervical spine MRI? I have the chest tightness problems too, it’s horrible, I know. I have also been told that this is also referred pain from my neck.

The thing is I’m pretty sure my spines crooked too. I had a problem with my legs when I was a kid and ones longer than the other. I think this is what has thrown my spine off. Also my shoulders are different heights; I can see it in the mirror. You’d think, with all these high-dollar Doctors I’ve seen, one of them would have picked it up. I think my surgeries have made it worse, when the surgeon did my back, he just focused on the lumbar spine, and when I had my neck done, it was the cervical spine. No one has taken a full top to bottom x-ray of my spine.

I’m not a big fan of Chiropractors, but they are good for this kind of thing. I’m going to go see one next week. They’ll do a full spinal x-ray, and their a lot cheaper than a Doctor. I probably won’t use them; I just want to know what they think. I don’t even know if it’s serious enough to worry about, or if it’s causing me any pain, but would just like to know for my own piece of mind.

Did your Chiropractor say that your spine appeared twisted? Did he do a full spinal x-ray? How are they treating your fibro?
The funny thing is that the Rheumitologist (sp?) said he felt that my Fibro is brought on by my problem in my back. The back Dr said my back problem is from my Fibro.
I don't think my twist is side to side, I think it's front to back. In other words, my top part of my body is not lined up with the bottom part. It seems to be getting worse and more painful. I went to physical therapy yesterday and now I am in so much pain all up in my neck and shoulders and my legs too.
The twist is in the T area of my spine - right above my waist.
Why don’t you have your back Doctor do an x-ray if you think the twist is causing you pain. They can measure the curve in your spine and tell you right away if something’s wrong. If he won’t do it, I’m sure you can find someone that will.

I’m not an expert on fibro; but I do know that it’s caused by trauma in a lot of cases. So it would make sense if the back pain caused the fibro, not the other way around.