Back & Neck Community
Upper back pain in or around shoulder blade

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

This back pain began while I was walking in Italy on vacation. I had walked for five hours straight without a break and I never really do this. However, instead of lower back pain, I would get a very sharp pain in my upper shoulder blade. I would have to lay down for an hour to get the pain to subside. Strangely enough, the pain returned when I was sitting as well as walking. When I came back home, I tried tiger balm and heating pads, the pain was less intense but my upper back (left side only) started to tingle. This went on consistently when I was walking for a while, standing in one position for too long or sitting too long at the computer. Today, I still experience this tingling in the upper left shoulder blade area although it seems to be less freqent and less intense. I'm always on the computer at work and at home (I go to school and I do a lot of reading online) and I also admit to liking computer games. Could it be that I simply injured my back (although I'm not sure how walking can injur your upper back) and it is still hurting two months later?
Tags: Pain, Back pain, reading, school, walking, Work, computer games