Upper-mid Back Pain Only After Sleeping
For about 6 weeks I have been experiencing mid back pain when I wake up in the morning.  The pain is so bad, I cannot go back to sleep, and NO position change helps.  I must get out of bed and start walking around or sit in a chair for the pain to start going away.  After an hour or two, the pain basically disappears.  The pain seems to be emanating from my spine, and tensing up the back muscles nearest the spine.  

I have been seeing a chiropractor/massage therapist for about 4 weeks now, and it has not helped, because the pain is only after I sleep!

I am 23 years old. I help my dad deliver produce 2 times a week in the morning, and I am also a full time sales associate at Sears selling electronics (which I'm on my feet all day.)  That may cause a little lower back pain, but it goes away when I'm not working.

I have used a contour pillow, slept in all different kinds of positions (back and both sides), I always sleep with a full body pillow, and nothing has seemed to help.

I would appreciate any suggestions, thanks!
I don't know why people keep coming to this forum to post asking for help when the answer is in the thread. THE CURE IS IN THIS THREAD. I've gone from 4 hrs of comfortable sleep back to 8-9 hours. I can't do more than 10 hours, but that's fine with me. It's gone down to just like 5% of the pain it used to be.

Read my previous posts about what to do for the stretches!! Two pillows + all those stretches I recommended EVERY HOUR of EVERY DAY will do the trick.
I have the same issue. My rheumatologist suggested getting tested for vitamin D levels as its deficiency can cause this. I was very low on vitamin D - 11 (should be > 50). So i startedvitamin D tablets. It helped - a lot. But comes back every few months once I stop the tablets.
I m actually writing this post in the middle of the night while the back pain subsides so I can go back to sleep.
ALL OF YHE ABOVE SUMS UP MY SLEEP PATTERN FOR ALMOST A YEAR NOW, EXCEPT I HAVEN'T SEEN A DOCTOR. THE ONLY REASON I'VE NOT SEEN A DOCTOR...I'D RATHER NOT FEEL LIKE I'M CRAZY WHEN THEY TELL ME WHAT THEY HAVE APPARENTLY TOLD EVERYONE ELSE IN THIS BLOG, WHEN I KNOW HOW REAL THE PAIN IS!! THANKFUL I FOUND THIS BLOG & KNOW NOW, NOT TO BOTHER SEEING A DOCTOR!
Dear PPNH,

Just to help broaden your understanding of anatomical etymology, 'oesophagus' is the English spelling of the word probably because it comes from the ancient Greek for gullet 'oisophagos'. Whereas 'esophagus' is the more recent American English spelling.

Hence the different acronyms GORD and GERD used in the UK and USA respectively. There are both the same disorder though and neither is correct or incorrect.

Unlike the 'World Series of Baseball' the world wide web (WWW) is actually world-wide and hence you may come across people with varying expressions and language.

You would be correct in assuming that I am a pedant.
I suffered with upper/mid back pain if I slept longer than 7 hours at night. Pillows and positions made no difference.  It seemed to be related to being in a horizontal position.  
2 months ago I completed a 7 day juice fast, then a Colon Cleanse followed by a Gall Bladder Cleanse.  The pain is gone now.  I also don't suffer from the pain, gas and bloating that I used to have after eating. My shoulder bursitis is also cleared up.  Plus lost 7 pounds!

I don't consume coffee, wheat, dairy or sugar after the cleanses.  There is no desire for them.  Not sure which one helped, but am so happy to be pain free again.  Maybe this can help someone!
Hi, I have the exact same between 4-5 but mostly at 4am... this happens for three weeks now. Plse can you tell me if yours is sorted now? What was it? Mine also on right side... thks
Hi, im curious also as to why my mid back pain after sleeping 4-5 hours started only 3 weeks ago... I wake up at about 4am every day. I have pain in my mid back on the right side. This pain usually goes away if I rise and get active after say an hour or two. I will feel little discomfort during the day still but not as 4am.

Breathing isnt a problem but its when I might cough also that I feel pain in that same area early after rising. I understand that the answer might be spread out over all the threads on here but possibly someone have had the exact same as me and found out what it is....?

Will magnesium help? Will memory foam help? Im hoping its not my kidney... but with the comments on here it seems not to be. Havent gone to the dr yet...

The idea that this pain comes in the morning when sleeping and not during the day is a bit of a positive for I reckon... but not getting enough sleep and having so much pain early every day isnt! Wish I can sleep longer again.......

Im also a bit over weight about 25kg to be exact... maybe my back need strenghtening?
Many of you describe the pain I experience only when lying down. Severe gripping pain in lumbar region, across the back, 6 inches wide.  So much pain I scream out in the night, even with 800m of Motrin 3xs daily.  It;s been going on for 4 months. The doc found I was severely deficient in Vitamin D.  In other words, I have the adult version of rickets.  Without the vitamin, calcium can't be used by the body, and results in skeletal muscle problems, pain, spasms, and fractures.  So check  it out--it may not be what you have, but it's worth a conversation with your doc.
I have been experiencing significant upper back pain that started about a month and a half ago.  Every morning I wake up around 4:30 a.m. with pain in my upper back.  No change in position helps.  It is painful enough that taking advil every night did not help.  It gets to the point where it hurts to breath.  When I wake up, the pain starts to subside and by the evening I only feel pain if I arch my back.

I went to a chiropractor, massage therapy, and a sports med Dr.  The Dr. took an xray and said that my spine looked healthy!  In his words he said "I guess you are the mystery patient of the day?".  Needless to say I was unhappy with his diagnosis.  I proceeded to another Doctor that gave me Lidocaine shots in my back and ordered physical therapy.  The Lidocaine shots did nothing, and it has taken a week and a half to line up the therapy which I start tomorrow.

In the meantime, I came across this thread and started Lumbar Extensions 4-5 times per day.  I also have been doing psoas stretches, p90x yoga, and  rolling on a tennis ball before I go to sleep. www.do-it-yourself-joint-pain-relief.com with Gary Crowley.  After four days of starting the lumbar extensions, I slept through the night for 8 1/2 hours last night!!  I'm still stiff in the morning but plan on continuing this regiment.

I promised myself I would respond to this thread if I experienced good results.  So far...so good.  I will update again as time goes on.

Adam

I'm not sure but last Sunday I woke up with a stiff neck and upperback pain with it and it was sore for about 3days and now today I woke up and it hurts again the same way I notice that when I woke up I was sleeping flat on my back and I normaly sleep on my sides not sure if that's what causing it
Are there videos anywhere that you know of demonstrating these exercises?  
I have this problem too.

After sleeping just a few hours, I get severe pain in my back and ribs, especially the right hand side.

No position helps and it is hard and painful to move.

I kind of feel like I have been frozen in a painful position and can't move.

I have GORD (it is called GORD not GERD in the UK) and am taking medication for it.

I have ordered a new bed as the pain is so bad so I want to try that
I have benefited a lot from this community. I don't want to repeat the problem statement. I have had the same problem for 1 year.PT is only temporary relief. MRI/ct looks normal.mattress change didn't help.exercise did not help. Finally after spending one year in pain. One of the doctors asked me to get a vitaminD and Vitamin b12 tests done.both were alarming ly low. Started taking vitamin d and b12 supliments. 2months on medication. It worked like a miracle.
My Friend was in allot of pain, then she started using some product!  When I see her again I will ask what she is using...  if you want to email me at ***@****  I will send you a email when I find out!
I have found relief! I had all the same symptoms as everyone else here has described...4-5 hours after sleeping severe pain in torso radiating from the back, can't breathe, can't turn or twist to move or get out of bed, after getting up then 30-45 mins later no pain whatsoever.
I have also used many different therapies for it just like everyone else has and finally found what works for me! So easy and not expensive...

I went with the concept that most people here had luck with, sleeping in your recliner, and so I purchased a foam bed wedge. It's 8 inches high at the head of the bed and tapers down at an angle to about the middle of the mattress.
Think a wedge of cheese.
The first night I had total relief and have not had any pain whatsoever till this day. It has been about 8 months.
I first tried putting pillows and such under the mattress to create an angle for sleeping and it worked perfectly! So the permanent solution was to get a wedge.

I have slept since doing this one time without raising my angle of sleep and woke 5 hours later to pain.
My chiro told me when you sleep laying flat you put more pressure on your connective tissue around the spinal zone, specifically the rib heads, and he has recommended to some patients to sleep in their recliner to take the pressure off the spine at night and they no longer sleep in their bed...

This is what works for me and as a Natural Health Counselor for 25 years I am now recommending sleeping a little angled to most people I talk to. There are benefits to sleeping just a little angled and if you can't for some reason I am not sure what to tell you...but I will say that I sleep perfectly every night now!
My set up is a Tempurpedic (firm) mattress queen size, with a foam bed wedge at 8 inches tall and that's it. You can use an adjustable bed but it will cost a lot for that set up. I think I will eventually get an adjustable bed in the future that way I can adjust it to any angle to get relief it any changes but for now a foam bed wedge has technically cured me...

I wanted to share my experience because I know the pain we all feel and I hope it works for you. I have complete relief and sleep better now than I have in years.
Erik
Another potential cause for mid-back pain that shows up at night after 3-6 hours is GERD (acid reflux).  If you are getting esophageal erosion to the point that you are getting nerve activation you may feel the effects in your mid-back (stomach referred pain shows up in the mid-back -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Referred_pain).

If you sleep with about a 10-15 degree slope in the upper body, that can reduce the pressure on the cardiac sphincter of the stomach and stop acid reflux at night.  Using proton-pump inhibitors like prilosec and others will also reduce your acid reflux.  Unfortunately, you can get flareups where those remedies may not be enough at times.  I've noticed that foods that are very spicy or cause gas tend before bed tend to cause more pain in the morning.

Oddly enough hammocks work very well for nighttime acid reflux (not the flat ones which will dump you on the ground but the ones with gathered ends which are pretty much impossible to fall out of).
Oh my goodness, this is exactly what I have! Been about two months now. There's a lot of comments on this! I've been reading through but can anyone summarise for me if they've been able to diagnose/cure this? The original post was from 2007 - what ended up happening for you? I don't know where to start trying to sort this - doctor, physio, chiropractor, osteopath?! I feel like a doctor is just going to send me away with painkillers.
If you can't find a solution to right side middle back pain in the morning, here is my little piece of advice: eliminate the consumption of aspartame for a week. Check all processed food that includes aspartame or E951and eliminate it temporarily from your diet, including multivitamins.
It worked with me, after being scared to death because nothing more seemed to work.
It's a cost free solution and if it's your case, that can save your life...
nrsable, did you every find out what was wrong?
Best,
Hi krytos,
How is your pain doing now?
are you still doing well?
Just spent the majority of my day reading the entire thread. It's great to know there are others out there with the same issue as me. It's also a relief to hear that many of us are young, healthy, and not overweight. (I'm 28, 175 lbs, 6', male)

I am going to try:
- lumbar extensions
- trigger point ball on the back
- PSOAS stretches
- sleep with my arms below my head

I'll report the results soon. Thanks to everyone!!
Thank you for your post on "psoas" my back hurts so bad when I first wake up. But the stretches and heating pad are helping so much.
I never heard of psoas until I read your post
Again thank you
I've also had these problems on the left side of the middle of my back. If I stretch or try to take a deep breath in the morning I can feel my back spasm. The only difference I've experienced is that I can go months at a time pain free without doing anything different and them BAM! It can come back out of the blue. Has anyone else experienced this?
Yes, I've experienced this on both sides, but mostly on my right side.

It is difficult to make generalizations here. I have severe spine disease, a degenerative condition that has come on over many years.

During the early years of this process, before I knew that anything was wrong, I'd have idiopathic LBP that would last for 6 weeks or so and then fade. I'd be left in peace for months or years, and then it would happen again. Sometimes the pain would be disabling, and sometimes it would be both sharp and aching for weeks on end. Usually the medical advice I'd get would be either -- lay in bed for a month and take aspirin, or to take a course of PT for 6 weeks.

They don't recommend bed rest anymore, of course, and sometimes chiropractic can help.

But for you, it is difficult to say why you have this pain -- age, weight, posture, activity, ergonomics at work, quality of mattress, quality of shoes, muscle strain, "pinched" nerve, and a dozen other factors may be contributing to your pain syndrome.

Best bet for an answer is to consult with a spine specialist for a history and physical exam, have some films taken, and find out what's going on with you.

Best wishes.
Thank you for the info. I haven't been to a Dr. yet as I am worried they'll just put me on medication, but I hadn't thought of a spine specialist.

Thanks again!
Are you still around Mike? I hope so. Thanks a ton for your input here. I'm a sufferer as well and am going to try to work on posture and trigger point release for the next few weeks and see what works.
    severe back pain after 5 hrs sleeping
  Hi every body suffer from that
pain

Do you have a congenital twisted spinal column ? And Did you
try to twist your spinal column ?

or

Do you have a normal spinal column ? And you have tried to
twist your spinal column Strongly to be more flexible?

if this is happen

the solution is that

you have to accept your original spine

try to go back to your congenital design

so

you have to adjust your mattress to fit with your original
column's design by  slight elevate somewhere under your
back

put slight small tissue layers

I tried this and this pain disappeared

Pray for me God bless you all

Ashraf

severe back pain after 5 hrs sleeping
  Hi every body suffer from that
pain

try to twist your spinal column ?

or

if this is happen

the solution is that

you have to accept your original spine

so

back

put slight small tissue layers

I tried this and this pain disappeared

Pray for me God bless you all

Ashraf
I have been having pain and spasms in the middle right side of back for the last two months but with mine my pain will start when trying to lift myself up from laying down even if it is only for a minute soon as I lay on my back or side and try to get up intense pain I have taken pain pills and muscle relaxers but they do not help so now I sleep in the sitting position and it helps a lot but I can stand walk sit for long periods of time pain free but if I lay on back for just one minute instant pain when trying to stand up
Sounds like it is time to see your doctor and have this worked up. Get a diagnosis and then you can learn about the treatment options.
  severe back pain after 5 hrs sleeping
  Hi every body suffer from that
pain

try to twist your spinal column ?

or

if this is happen

the solution is that

you have to accept your original spine

so

back

put slight small tissue layers

I tried this and this pain disappeared

Pray for me God bless you all

Ashraf
How about lisinopril?
Guys,
I had same issue. After reading this blog, i was so worried that i might live rest of my life with this pain.
Tried different different things my self, and finally... I found resolutions to issue to me.
The night i slept on floor, i could sleep endlessly.  I woke up with my own wish.
Just put one blanket on the floor ( considering not wooden floor, instead its carpet on the floor).

Good luck.
I have the same issues as everyone here. Had MRI, ultrasound, X-ray, physio, acupuncture. I work a desk job. Gave up martial arts but that hasn't improved things. People think its in my head. Glad to find a community that understands.
I have had exactly same problem recently. It gave me very tough time. I used to woke up in the middle of night and cannot sleep afterwards due to severe pain. Sleeping on side or back didn't help at all. I had to get up and sit or walk and then slowly it used to reduce after several hours.
I have gone through MRI, it was normal. I went to Orthopedic, he said not related to spine. I went to surgeon, he said not related pancreas or anything. Subsequently, I visited neurosurgeon, he checked and said its not a neuro problem and you have "muscle spasm". He suggested me some physio-therapy exercises (SWD, IFT, US) and asked me to reduce weight. I am overweight (not yet obese) as per BMI. Physio-therapy and some medicines gave me great relief.
When I was in pain, I searched on internet and saw this thread. Therefore, I thought I shall write my experience which may be of help for someone like me...
Neeraj
adjustable bed, 325.00 wallyworld. ajust up till comfortable. old welder 46 years. comes with matress
adjust your bed up with pillows or a wedge or a cheap adjustable bed from walmart on line. have the same thing. if the damage is done you can make it easier on yourself. will help a lot. good luck.
Has no one ever told you to hold in your tummy muscles ever when arising from which ever position?  and when you sit, lie down, bend over , pick someting up???  Just every day life stuff. SHAME on them...

Try holding in your tummy muscles..
...the worse it could do is strenghten your tumy muscles and more importalntly tighten up the back muscles,
ChrisBern - Thank you!  Thank you! Thank you!  I had the same symptoms as you and so many others (waking with mid-back pain after 4 hours every night and then fine after walking around for a half hour) -- a problem that I have been suffering with on and off for the past several years.  I read Dr. Sarno's book yesterday and last night I slept through with hardly any pain.  Truly a miracle - thanks for connecting me with this great resource.
Hi all,

It's been years and I still have this issue, but it's definitely not as bad as it used to be. I've figured out a major breakthrough for myself that I wanted to share with anyone else suffering with this problem. I've found that I can position my elbows/arms in a certain way while sleeping on my side and the pain is almost instantly gone. That is, if I wake up 4-6 hours later and I feel my thoracic pain aching, sleeping on my side with my elbows in this particular position makes it go away almost right away.

What is the position I'm talking about? I'll try to describe it. Lie down on your side and try to keep your arms/elbows as close as you can to your sides. In fact, try to tuck your elbow/arm underneath your entire body while sleeping on your side. Doing this has made a huge impact on my sleeping.

For example, if i'm sleeping on my left side, I try to keep my left arm/elbow as close to my stomach as possible (usually have a 90 degree bend in my elbow or so, but i don't think it matters). Sometimes I'll even tuck my left elbow underneath my left side and sleep entirely on my left arm. It might be uncomfortable on the arm/shoulder, but it makes a night and day difference on the thoracic pain.

Question for anyone reading this and experiencing the thoracic pain: When you sleep on your side, do you tend to round your shoulders or extend your arms forward away from your body as if you are reaching to grab something / hug something?

I'm starting to wonder if our pain is from rounded shoulders or just extending our arms too far forward causing discomfort in our rib cages while sleeping. If any of this helps anyone, please share! :)
Hi all.
Exact same issue, Im just as relieved to find others in the same situation working towards a solution.
30 year old, 6' male 180 lbs. Healthy.

Ive tried the trigger point release and it seemed to make the pain worse lol. I dont know if I was using too much pressure or if I targeted the wrong muscles around the spine that are more sensitive and fragile but it made the situation worse.

Im assuming in my case its not a magnesium or vitamin d deficiency as I supplement both. It may be related to acid reflux and nerve triggering as that is a bit of an issue for me, especially at night when horizontal.

Luckily I do have an adjustable bed, and starting tonight I will try sleeping with the top half slightly raised, with the head being about 8" higher as suggested by another member. Ill share my results.

My guess is that this does have something to do with a nerve or nerves being triggered and resulting in specific muscles in the affected area tightening up and as a result shortening. When we sleep, regardless of the firmness of the matress, out back and spine is being decompressed and stretched. It seems to me that these smaller muscles around the spinethen get stretched too much from laying down and thats whats causing the pain. This could be why the slight elevation helps as it prevents "over stretching" and decompression. If this is the case, then we still need to get the root cause of the issue, which Im assuming is related to triggered nerve(s).

Lets keep this thread going and help one another reach a solution!
MY SOLUTION! I also had pain in my upper left back after sleeping, and it wouldn't go away until I got up, walked around, or sat in a chair. Nothing I read on here worked, I found my own solution. To stop this from happening, I just lay on my side (either side) with my arm out, and elbow bent. Do not lay on your arm, you will still have the pain. If I lay on my back or stomach, I still wake up with these terrible pains, but as long as I lay on my side with my arm out and elbow bent, the pain is not there at all when I wake up. This was a very simple yet life changing discovery for me, and I hope it will help someone else.
Hello everybody. I researched this same topic probably two years ago now, as I was having the same pain in my mid back every morning before I got up. Would wake me up and persist no matter which position I tried. Then I would get up and walk around and it would be gone. So either here or somewhere else I read that somebody else had tried doing flexibility exercises on an swiss ball. So I started doing backwards stretches over a swiss ball at the gym, three times a week after my free weight workouts. The result: a few weeks later the pain was completely gone and never returned (I work out three times a week religiously and likewise did these stretches three times a week over this period). Then, about four weeks ago I had to have an emergency appendectomy and was in the hospital for a week. It has now been about a month since the surgery and I have not been able to go back to the gym or do anything in the past month. The result: about two weeks ago the back pain returned and is once again waking me up every morning. I'm hoping to be able to go back to the gym in the next week or so, and will begin a modified version of these stretches (not touching the floor completely) as soon as I do.

Here is a youtube link of the type of stretches that I am referring to. Of course, when I first started, it took a week or two before I could touch the floor completely (palms flat on the floor) and I still position myself near a wall or something that can assist me if I fatigue, as I have worked my way up to about four sets (5-6 minutes each). That said, I think these stretches can work for anybody if you position your mid-back properly over the ball, even if you can only do an assisted version with 50% range of motion or something. Anyway, with the recurrence of my back pain, just saw this msg board again and figured I would share my experience. The link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twdaYIBr27I

fyi - I'm 35, male, quite fit
I am so grateful for this forum. Out of nowhere, 5 nights ago I started experiencing many of the same symptoms listed above: horrible mid/upper back pain, can't roll over, can barely move, can't take a full breath (a very panic-inducing feeling). And like many of the people here, after less than an hour of getting up and walking around, I would feel fine. The first 2 mornings of pain were more like aches so I attributed to possibly sleeping in a bad position (not true). The 3rd and 4th mornings I was awakened at 4am-5am to debilitating pain, so I changed beds. Did not help!

Yesterday I came across this forum and right away I did a few rounds of cobra stretches on the floor (lumbar extensions). Also, I tried out sleeping on my back with a pillow under my knees. Note that I am a life-long side sleeper, so this is very different for me. I did also take 1 ibuprofen because I was still feeling a little achey from the night before.

This morning I was able to sleep until the alarm went off, 95% pain free! I will keep doing these things and may also look into adding vitamin D supplements – my last checkup indicated I was on the low end. Hope these notes help someone else, and thanks again for all the info thus far!

About me: female, 40s, normal weight, moderately active, no health issues

TRY THIS SIMPLE SOLUTION. IT WORKED FOR ME....
I am writing this in June 2016. I remember reading through these pages in sheer panic back in 2010 when I began to have the same problems described by most people posting here. I solved my problem with a very simple solution. I feel guilty and selfish about not having bothered to post back. But better late than never.
So here is the simple solution that worked for me. It was recommended to me by my yoga-instructor who did the diagnosis and recommendation simply over an email. START SLEEPING WITHOUT A PILLOW. After about 4 days I no longer woke up after a few hours of sleeping flat. The lingering pain in the upper back took 6-12 months to complete go away. But by the end of 2011 my problem was history. The yoga instructor who gave me the simple solution said it was simply because of bad slouching posture when working at a computer, which I do. For the past 7 years I have been using a standing desk. I try hard to not slouch and I don't read heavy books while holding them in my hands and standing. Try this and let me know how it turns out.
I felt back pain at the time of my pregnancy. During pregnancy we need to take special care while sleeping, so it is recommended to use pregnancy pillow. So, it provides me relief.
I maybe have a solution to the problem that could work for some of you. First of all, I am not any kind of medical expert, but when I have some health problem, I'm trying to find what could be the cause of the pain and, believe it or not, internet helped me many times. Doctors not so much.
A few years ago I started to woke up in the morning with extreme pain and stiffness in the lower back. It lasted for a 2 or 3 years.
It felt awful, like some kind of rod was sticked through my back when I woke up. It was hard even to get up from the bed and I needed sometimes even an hour to become completely mobile and for the pain to go away.
I had better and worse nights. I was walking every day for many hours hoping it will go away. It did help, but not so much.
When it started to become really very painful every morning I knew I must find some solution or I'll become disabled.
So, after my research on internet I realized that most probably I have an inflammation in my back. I don't remember exactly the exact words from the article I found, but when we sleep, simply because we don't move, bodily fluids starts to go away from inflamed tissue and that's why it hurts like hell after sleeping. After we get up and start to walk, bodily fluids returns to tissue, so after a while we feel normal again.

I found a natural cure that worked for me. At first I wasn't sure will it work, but it did and even I couldn't believe it.
I read a lot about turmeric (curcumin) and it's a spice that fights cancer and curcumin is also the strongest natural anti-inflammatory substance. Unlike pharmaceutical drugs there are no any known side-effects and it can actually cure permanently such conditions.
This are ingredients I put in a little dish:
1. half of teaspoon of turmeric powder
2. 1/4 or 1/5 (smaller amount) of black pepper
3. small amount of olive oil only to cover turmeric and pepper.

I mixed it then with a spoon.
I was dipping bread into it and that's how I ate it. I took it twice a day - in the morning and in the evening.
Why black pepper? Because turmeric is not easily absorbed into body, so black pepper helps your body to absorb it and it helps a lot. Those are all scientifically proven facts and you can find on internet many researches that proves it.
Olive oil was only there so I can simply have a solution from which I can easily eat it. Olive oil is also healthy.

After only one week I started to notice that my pain started to change... it went for a while only to one side of the lower back and even if it was strong it wasn't severe anymore like it used to be. Pain felt like it's much more local than before.
After only 2 weeks of taking turmeric I woke up one morning without any pain and I couldn't believe it. I knew that it was gone and I couldn't describe how happy I was.
Weeks and months after that there were nights when the pain returned but it was nowhere near to the severity of the pain I've had before taking turmeric. After some time I stopped taking turmeric and the pain didn't return anymore.

All that happened some 2 years ago.
This week, similar things started to appear to me during sleeping, but in the middle part of the back and I never had that before. Once again, I'm starting to take turmeric with black pepper, so we will see in a week or two.

I'm writing all this, because I know how awful and how painful it is, so I would be really happy if this post will be helpful to some of you and even cure you.
It's really not expensive to buy those ingredients and you should try it. Take it for a few months if it is needed. Do not exaggerate with doses. It's not dangerous at all, but too big amount could be dangerous just like everything else.
Pregnant women should be more careful while taking it, because, in theory, great amounts of turmeric would not be good for you, so always be careful.
But don't forget, it's not a drug... it's only a spice... a food.
Good luck!
I would advise you to see a doctor to get the right diagnosis.
I have the same problem since 2 months ago, exactly like what you all experienced.

Extremely painful back after waking up, and sometimes woke by the pain itself. Even hurt to breath. It gets better and disappear throughout the day.

I am so glad that i found this page & i am so thankful of your sharing.

I have tried the lumbar extension exercise yesterday night, without putting much hope. Surprisingly, i woke up without pain this morning!

I made a few assumption for this pain:
1) poor posture - i am working infront of computer at least 8 hours a day. Also, i din't care much about my sleeping posture.

2) stress level - i found the more stress i have, the worse the pain. I had the pain few years ago and some how it went away, recently i am very stressful and i doubt that triggered my back pain

I also found some way to ease the pain before i found this page.

-total relax on bed before falling asleep. Listen to soothing music and try to progressively relax the muscle throughout the whole body. I woke up with less pain using this method.

- Hot shower in the morning helps to relieve the pain faster.

- sleep on pile up blanket instead of pillow. (or a slope pillow)  , something like 20-30 degree angle with respect to bed. I found the normal pillow (90 degree wrt bed) is making the spine/muscle stressful.

i hope my message here somehow helps someone in need. Like what i gained from the others here. I am very thankful to all of you. Stay healthy and happy !
sleep with keeping pilllow below legs (knees) it will be help full & try to do excercise  it will help to mobility of back.