Back & Neck Community
What is right neural foramen narrowing??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Hi, I had an MRI a year ago following chronic pain in my lower back. The final impression which the radiologist cites is: Grade I anterolistesis of L5 over S1 and Spinal canal stenosis at L3-L4, L4-L5 and worse at L5-S1 level.
It specifically cites disc protrusion in these areas but in L5-S1 is described as moderate to severe. What most worries me is the narrowing of the right neural foramen, possibly compressing the exiting L5 nerve root. I received meds and physical therapy(12) in total before I felt a little better. Now I'm experiencing severe neck pain as well and I'm in physical therapy again but no MRI done yet. So once again what is this right neural foramen??
The neural foramen is the opening through which the spinal nerve roots travel.  If there is significant narrowing it will cause varying degrees of nerve irritation and/or compression resulting in symptoms of pain and nerve changes such as burning/numbness.
You have had medication and PT which can alleviate the symptoms of pain, but if the narrowing and compression are severe enough, it may require more aggressive intervention  including surgery.  The need for surgery would be to reduce the risk of permanent nerve damage and needs to be evaluated by you and your treating physician.
Hopefully your immediate symptoms will be helped with conservative treatment and surgery can be avoided,  Discuss your options with your doctor and proceed from there.
Post with an update and keep us informed of your progress.
Best wishes ----