Back & Neck Community
What's that black spot near spinal cord/C1 on MRI?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

In Nov. 2006 I have cervical disc replacement/fussion surgery @ C 5/6, with nerve compression, and spinal stenosis. Many of the symptoms eased with the surgery, almost feel like I got my llife back. It's been a long road to recovery, but still discomfort in neck, shoulders, left arm, limited strenght in both hands. The worse is these headaches, seems like I have always had them, have gotten worse over the last ten yrs. and have tried many home remedies, meds, relaxation, ice, heat, message...just feels like there is something in my neck at the base of the skull. I have had XRays, MRI(w/o contrast), EMG, physicals therapy. Until I had my last MRI(w/contrast), during a recent visit with my Ortho Dr. (Surgeon) with went over said MRI and during this he came across damage to C 1/2, below base of my skull severe arthritis, what appeared to be fragmented tissue and I rarther large black round spot...all just a hair away from spinal cord...limiting free flow of spinal fluid and appears to be pressing on an artery. He told me that the only surgery would be to fuse/immobilize my skull to neck...it was pretty much inoperable, and cortisone site-injections may be my only option for relief (not resolve, relief) this along with pain management, and the condition over time will worsen? What about the BLACK SPOT? The Dr. said he was concerned and was not positive about what this spot was (ligament? pc.of bone, mass?)and referred me to another Dr. for the site injections at the hospital...This was not even in the MRI report from the person that read the MRI... Dr. found it then, right there with me. His face fell, and I could tell he was uncomfortable. I trust him and think he knows his poop so to speak. He old me to live my life carefully, and try the injections for possible relief of pressure to free up flowing of spinal fluid/nerves and such. He also said that my symptoms, left shoulder pain,nlower back/left leg, bowel/bladder discomfort/function problems, chest pain?, nausea/vomiting, migraines, etc. could be from this. The only other time anyone has almost confirmed what that grinding/krackling sound is in the back of my head when I move my head around is when I had an xray of my neck done by my primary care dr. in the beginning and he said there was a shadow, possibly a herniated disc& tumor/mass and sent me to the specialist that ordered my first EMG/MRI which none of these findings were discovered then. Don't know what to do? What do I do? Should I worry about cancer? If he wasn't sure what the black spot was, how can I just dismiss it? HELP!!!
  If I were you......I would take that MRI, not the written report, but the actual CD to a neuro surgeon or even two different neuro surgeons. And maybe go to the radiologist that looked at it and discuss what your doc said with him.   You may have something major serious going on there buddy.  Good Luck   dgri