Back & Neck Community
bulging discs...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

bulging discs...

I was dx'd w/ bulging discs in my neck and then today I went to the Pain Management clinic and found out that I have another bulging disc in my lower back. I am going to be having cortisone shots in my neck.. little nervous about that. But hoping it helps. The funny thing is... I have not had any car accidents or injuries to cause any of this. The only thing is that it seems EVERYONE in my family has the same problems....It's just frustrating b/c I'm only 34 and for example, I baked 2 apple pies and apple crisp on Saturday and when I was done, I felt like I had gotten beat up! My neck pain triggered  a headache...etc....It's like a few hours on my feet and I feel like I got hit by a freight train. So frustrating! I need to find out if I have fibro too...I seem to have all the symptoms.. i hope i don't. I am not going for an award for how many things I can get diagnosed with in a single year! Well thanks for listening.
~Melissa
Hi Melissa,
Did they diagnose you with degenerative disc disease?  I was diagnosed with that at about your age.  I'm so sorry you are in so much pain!  I can totally relate.  I have 3 ruptured discs in my neck right now and am just waiting for insurance approval on my next artificial disc replacement surgery.  I'm hoping to hear something this week.  It sure fixed the pain in  my lower back.  You might want to check it out.  This will be my 9th back/neck surgery.  If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at ***@****.  Have a good day.
Andi
Thanks for your reply, sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I haven't asked about degenerative disc disease, but I should b/c my mom, my aunt, my grandma (she passed away) all have bulging discs. I know I have arthritis in my neck, and that's another thing that seems to run thru my family as well. I go this Thursday for epidural injections in my neck. We'll see how that goes! I hope you are able to get your disc replacement!! Good luck! Thanks again!
Melissa
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. Disc degeneration is a part of aging and the pain associated with degenerative disc disease arises from inflammation and abnormal micromotion instability. The proteins in the disc cause inflammation causing low back pain radiating to hips. the defining symptoms of fibromyalgia are chronic, widespread pain, heightened pain in response to touch, tingling skin, prolonged muscle spasms, weak limbs, muscle twitching etc. other systemic problems are functional bowel disturbances, sleep disturbances, palpitations, etc. brain fog, short term and long term memory loss, depression etc are also seen. Treatment is only limited and directed to symptomatic relief. Anti seizure drugs like gabapentin, pregabalin,dopamine agonists like pramipexole, ropinirole, and cyclobenzaprine can be used to relieve skeletal muscle spasms. Consult your neurologist for evaluation of symptoms and appropriate therapy. Hope this helps. Take care.
Hi I am Jana and I am New to this Site. I was writing to you b/c your Pain Issues sound so much like mine. I know you weren't in a wreck or anything but I was in a Motorcycle Accident and shortly after that all my Issues Started! I am a 33yr old Woman & I feel like I'm 90 and most days I don't even feel like getting out of bed! I have Numerous Herniated & Bulging Discs in my Neck & Fibromyalgia, and in my opinion it's the most painful thing of all! I was wondering if you maybe didn't have Fibromyalgia too? I know when I wake up I am so Stiff & Achy and I feel like I have been hit by a Truck! I can't stand very long, I can't sit very long, and I can't lay down very long either! It's like know matter what I do I can't get comfortable! I haven't had a good full night's sleep in years and I hurt twenty four seven! I am on Pain Meds but they no longer work the way they used to b/c I have been on them for so long! I have many other Health Issues but I don't want to bother you with all that! It's hard having Pain & Chronic Illness b/c people think that if you don't look sick then you should just suck it up and get over it! I don't know if you have Fibro or not but your Symptoms sure sound a lot like mine! Either way, I hope you get all the help you need and I hope they can get your pain under control! I know you do not know me but if you ever need someone to talk to who can relate, than I am here willing to be an open ear! Take care, Jana