Back & Neck Community
degenerative disc deterioration
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

degenerative disc deterioration

I have two deteriorated discs in my neck.  Absolutely nothing helps with pain.  I can't take regular pain pills or anything narcotic because it doesn't agree with me, and I'm at a loss as to how to deal with chronic pain daily.  Heat only helps when you're on heat, but the minute you stop using a heating pad, the pain comes right back, and I've tried all the thermal pads, etc.   Help!!!
1331804_tn?1336870958
I unfortunately don't have much advice to offer you but my responding will bump your post back up and perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me in the non-opioid treatment for chronic back pain can respond to your question.

I take a cocktail of heavy opioid medications along with adjuvants to manage my chronic pain daily.  Keep in mind that depending on the side effects you experienced from opioids; they may go away with treatment.

Since you have DDD, a good majority of your pain could be nerve pain, in which non-narcotic medications like Lyrica or Neurontin (generic name: Gabapentin) can help.  Additionally, a muscle relaxer can help as well as an anti-depressant.  Cymbalta is a anti-depressant and pain reliever combo that might work well for you.  

Additionally, lots of light stretching, walking or using a recumbent bike could provide some relief due to increased circulation.  Drinking lots of water (8-10 8 oz glasses a day) along with eating anti-inflammatory foods could be beneficial as well as potentially adding some herbal supplements (be sure to talk to your doctor about any OTC herbal supplements you would like to take before taking them to make sure its okay).

Good luck and keep coming back as others may post some ideas I didn't think of.

Just remember adding things versus trying one thing at a time is more effacacious!

femmy
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Back & Neck Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank