Back & Neck Community
how to treat severe neck and shoulder pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

one day, 2 years ago, I woke up with a powerful pain in the left side of my neck. pain killers helped a little, then after 4 weeks, they had no effect. The strong pain in the left side of the neck caused severe headaches and dizziness. I could not guess why or how this happend ? I woke up with this pain, and I have it till today ? I went thru a number of muscle relaxant pain killer treatment, plus, physiotherapy at the base of the neck and along the shoulders. Today, I still get sharp pains in the left shoulder, extreme sore shoulder, sharp pain on the left side of the neck, still dizzy all day, feel like sleeping 2 hours after normal activities in the mornings.  an MRI showed disc protursion in the C-5 area mildly pressing nerves affecting left arm. I dont know, is there a cure for this ? surgery ? if yes, what kind ? I cannt live like this for the rest of my life, I am only 45, 40lbs over wieght, I walk regulary to excercise, and had to quit swimming because it made the pain much worse.  Please advise me how to proceed,,,,?
There can be a cure for some people, depending how the surgery comes out. Probably you'll need surgery to relieve the nerve pressure, by fusing that level. Surgery should be a last resort, after minimally invasive treatment have been exhausted. Time is your best friend, but after 2 years this should be addressed. Click on my name and read my profile, I woke up in 1984 describing the same thing. Don't let this scare you, surgeries have improved allot the last ten years. I was a electrician and that didn't help matters hopefully you don't have physical work, that exacerbates the problem. This can be serious meaning that this is a chronic problem that may have to dealt with forever.  

If your MRI is 2 years old you should get a new one, to see if any changes or further degeneration has occurred.

What therapies have you tried and what have you done about this for the last 2 years?

The 40 lbs probably isn't a problem in the neck unless you low back problems also, but can really help if you could loose some of it. I'm skinny and wonder if being skinny isn't part of the problem because of no meat and muscles around my bones.

Some therapies that can help are Cold laser treatments, spinal decompression, injections.

Please be aggressive in this, every time I hear somebody say they woke up like this gives me concern. Rupturing disc are not uncommon while sleeping.

Keep the forum updated.