jeff g
im 40yrs old and i have back pain in the upper and middle of my back in my muscles near the spine about 2 inches away. i have had problem with this for about a year now and  its starting to feel inflamed and slight knumbness is occuring, do you have any suggestions as to what this could be or a specialist you would reccomend. thank you.
this comes from rounded posture--- are you on the computer alot???  it is fixed by stretching your chest muscles & certain muscles in the neck (scalenes and SCM especially) while strengthening the muscles in your mid back--mainly the rhomboids and other posterior scapular stabilizers. the proper exercises and stretches are available on the net. here is but one link.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Remember-- do not stretch your mid back-- it is alreqdy stretched and weak. it needs to be strengthened by exercises that pinch your sholulder blades together (ie rowing exercises).. Get a book on posture by P D'Arezzo. IT will take work and some time to fix so dont be impatient.