Back & Neck Community
knot in shoulder blade

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

knot in shoulder blade

I am 39 and still experiencing pain from a blunt trauma to my back when I was a teenager at15yrs old. I was shoved against a corner of a door-way. I felt something that seemed to pop from what I can remember and a burning sensation. Also was in a major car accident- thrown from the car about that same time period. I also played softball (right handed outfileder) throwing the ball infiled with all my might and repeatedly injuring my shoulder. Since I was about 22 years old I have had lots of neck and back pain. There is a long knot that feels like a hardened muscle between my spine and right shoulder blade that gets really sore when I overuse my right arm lifting and pulling like I do at work. Otherwise it really does not bother me much but I still know its there. It never goes away. My husband can rub my back and feel it and he pushes on it to try and rub it out but it does not work  But I can tell a BIG difference in the tightness and tension after he gives a back and shoulder rub, Its like immediate relief my headache subsides my grouchiness and I mean bad grouchiness subsides.  I pop and crack my neck constantly. I am worst in the mornings. These days I wake up with a very stiff lower back and can hardly walk.  Warm shower does help loosen me up. I wonder if the very firm mattress I sleep on contributes. My moodiness and anger anger that arises from this tension and stess have taken a tole on me and my family. Over the years I have taken antidepresants for stress and tension headaches off and on since then. Headaches seem to have gone away but the tension and stress have worsened. I have gained about 30 extra lbs and have turned to alcohol to medicate. ( my dad was an alcoholic). II also smoke when I drink. I am having panic attacks.too. Thinking I am having a heart attack.  I know this was supposed to about a problem with my shoulder blade as it is what prompted me to write and try to find out what was wrong, but it seems there is allot more to it sometimes. All of this seems to be related somehow.  I have tried to diagnoss myself and have read allot about tension and stress causing pulled muscles and back spasms but a knot that has been present in my shoulder for almost 25 years doesn't seem to match this. It is time to do something. Help!