Back & Neck Community
neck pain/ follow up question/surgery?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

neck pain/ follow up question/surgery?

I posted a week ago and have a few more questions. I had a new MRI on Friday. Results showed herniation at the c-5 c-6 level with annular tear. Doctor has suggested 3 rounds of epidural injections. He stated that if I don't receive relief I should consider surgery. Current symptoms include neck pain and burning in the trapezius muscles and between the shoulder blades. Anyone else having similiar symptoms? I have been in pain for over 3 months and if anything physical therapy has made it worse. I really don't want to have surgery and was wondering if the shots don't help what are some other nonoperative options? Thanks,
Dave
in the beginnin of my symptoms, i too had what you are feeling and was recommended that i get the epidural.
Let me tell you, The after effects hurt like you would not believe....and continue for about 6 hours. it will feel like pain you never felt but will go away....HOWEVER, it most likely wont help. what help me was Nova Care. PHYSICAL Therapy. Atleast till i got my surgery.
The injections is only to relax the muscle , so the nerve can relax and the steroid that is in the injection is to make the muscle stronger, which should make the burning go away.....BUT IT DID NOT WORK WITH ME.
Thanks for the reply. Where did you have you surgery? Did it help? Were you having arm pain or just neck pain?
I also had the injections. But I didn't have any pain from the injections they just didn't help the neck, shoulder and arm pain. After having two with no relief they cancelled the third one.  Mine were done after having surgery.  I had a two level ACDF (C5-C7) in Nov of last year.  Before the surgery I was having mild shoulder and arm  pain.  Since surgery I am worse, my neck,  shoulder and arm ache all the time.  My arm and hand are so weak I can't hold on to anything.  I don't want to scare you, but I would leave surgery for a last resort.  Good luck