Back & Neck Community
no one ever posts to my topics

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

no one ever posts to my topics

I've posted here now several times. I'm 4 weeks out from an l5/s1 open back fusion with instrumentation. I'm interested in talking to other kindred fusion spirits, to hear their journey and how they healed and the stages it took. I'm still in pain but push thru it and walk everyday. Plz sumone, it would be so nice to have sumone to talk to who's walked my path. Greatest blessings to u:)
HI....it is possible that there is no one that fits the criteria of ur request and if they can not offer help may avoid ur post.

To locate a member with this type of procedure, u may want to try the search this community feature for threads  on this topic and u can PM the members to get a quicker response.

Good luck, I understand ur desire to talk to someone that has gone thru this.

"selma"
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Back--Neck/4-21-10---Health-Chat--Minimally-Invasive-Options-for-Chronic-Back-Pain/show/1204696

Check out the live chat !...click on the link to sign up and get date and time info.
Thank u for ur reply. Maybe I'm doing sumthing wrong? Thought I was posting this in the "back and neck" forum lol. I'll check out that link for I know there's other fusion kindred spirits out here. Greatest blessings to u hun
I saw your other post, and wanted to respond, but I thought people with more recent low back problems would probably post. I post mostly about neck problems, I had a cervical fusion five years ago and I’ve been in constant pain ever since.

About 8 years ago, I had a PLIF with instrumentation at L4-5, probably similar to what you had done. And from what I remember, a lot of it is a blur, the recovery was pretty rough, some of that was my fault. I waited too long to have surgery and it got to the point were I could hardly walk. The first 3 months after surgery were rough for me and during that time I had to take pain meds continuously. It also seemed like where the hardware was hurt real badly, but the burning and stabbing pains in my leg were the worst. I tried PT at 8 weeks, but it hurt too much, I couldn’t stand or sit for more than 10 – 15 minutes at a time and I was real worried I’d never get better.

After about 3 months, I slowly began to feel better and started to regain my strength. I started walking and spent almost 4 months in PT learning how to use my leg again. At six months, I felt pretty good and after a year I was pretty much pain free. My leg is still a little weak and I have some numbness and tingling, but that’s never going to go away. And in all these years, I haven’t had a single problem with my low back, no adjacent segment disease or nothing.  I’ve been really lucky.

If you’re up and walking after only 4 weeks you’re doing good, compared to me. That’s a good sign. It’s the best way to get well. Your surgery was done through the back too? Did you have bad sciatica, how long did you have to stay in the hospital? Are you going to be going to PT?  I think my recovery took forever because I waited too long. I was pretty nervous about having the surgery done and I kept putting it off. I’m glad I finally did do it, hopefully you will be too.

You know I was really surprised that no one answered your last post, and I feel bad because I didn’t. I have no complaints about my L4-5 surgery, I’m really happy with it. Now, my neck that’s another story. I think a lot of people on these boards just post a question, get an answer and never come back again. So don’t feel bad because no one answered. I been a member for over 3 years and it seems like every time I take a break from the board and come back, there are all new people here. If there’s anything you want to know about my recovery, just let me know. Sorry it took me so long to post.

Best Wishes

K
U r in the right forum...this is the back and neck forum.....
At last a kindred spirit on similar journeys *hugs* thank u so much for sharing ur story with me!!!! I had severe spondlylolisthesis and no disc at l5/s1 which resulted in severe bilateral foraminal stenosis which caused significant bilateral root nerve compression. Tried chiro, alternative healer, physical therapy, spinal injections, pain management (lyrica), but none of it stoped the progression of neurological deficits in my legs. The pain was unbearable, no longer could move my left foot, had this strange, weak, funny looking gait, so finally after fighting for a year, I got surgery. They did like 3-4 procedures to my back. Was a 6 hr operation, was in the hospital 3 days (it was too short a stay I think), and I have a 6 inch incision on my lower back. Glad to say gettin the compression off my nerves has helped greatly!!! No more heavy sluggish weak feeling or abnormal gait, pain in my legs is almost a faded memory, I still get pain in my feet occasionally but overall, feel like it was successful with my neurological problems. How long does it take the pain to go away in ur back. My tailbone now hurts, my whole back gets stiff and sore and my incision area aches and is stiff, especially after I go walking. My dr wanted me up walking 2 miles a day within the first week. I was so drugged up there was no way I was waLkin anywhere but to the bthrm that first week. So it was the second week or so I began pushing myself to walk. I walk just 4-5 lapse around the outside isles of walmart 5-6 times a week. That's bout all my body can handle. I've managed to lose 16 lbs since my surgery. I meet with my spine dr april 9th where he'll probably add new physical therapy besides just walking. How long did it take for ur back to stop hurting and did u go thru the stiff achy feeling and if so, how long did it last? Thank u again and brightest blessings to u:)
That’s sounds a pretty serious operation you had, 6 hours, wow. I stayed in the hospital 3 days too. I didn’t think it was long enough either. The insurance companies don’t like to keep you in the hospital any long than they have to. When I had my cervical fusion I went home the same day. Got there at 6:00am and went home at 6:00pm. I probably could have stay over night if I wanted; I just wanted to get out of there.

It took some time for my back and leg pain to get better; the surgeon said it was because I waited too long to have surgery and the nerve had become damaged from the disc herniation. I was pretty discouraged. They kept telling me to give it more time. He sent me to PT at 8 weeks, but it was just too painful, I couldn’t do it. At that point I could only stand or sit for about 10-15 minutes at a time. I started worrying that I would never get better. I’ve never tried Lyrica, I don’t think it was out yet, I did take neurontin for quite awhile, it helped with the nerve pain, but I didn’t like the way it made me feel.

About 3 weeks later which would be the 11th week, I began to feel better. I forced myself to walk, a little more each day. And I started going to PT 3 times a week. My back used to hurt and get really stiff too. PT helped with that. At 3 months, I felt better, not great, but better, I still had back pain and leg pain but it was nothing like it was before. After I got use to walking and being in PT for a couple months the stiff achey (achy) feeling started going away too. It seemed like the more active I got the better I felt. At 6 months I felt good and at a year, I was completely pain free.

I wouldn’t worry; your recovery seems to be going really well, much faster than mine. Do you have to wear a brace? Some days you’re not going to feel so good, that’s just part of it. It’s a major job recovering from one of these surgeries. All that walking your doing has to be helping. I don’t think I could walk that much when I feel good.  

Best Wishes

K

I've researched cervical issues and treatments as well cuz at the beginning, I thought I had cervical stenosis with myelopathy. I do have sum neck issues at c5/c6 and c6/c7 and after researching, thought that was the cause for the weakness in my legs and my abnormal gait. But my mri's didn't show myelopathy. How much mobility do u have in ur neck and was the recovery from it horrendously painful? After researching spinal fusion at my level, and hearing other ppl's stories, I feel I have been truely blessed. My symtoms (symptoms) didn't worsen after surgery and except for the pain in my flanks and tailbone (of which the dr assured me was normal for the type of surgery I had), I don't have any knew symptoms that other ppl seem to have gotten. I'm now almost 5 weeks post op and evenwent to a small metal show with my two older kids tonite. I took it easy. I just didn't know what to expect with the pain in my back and now u've given me a sort of time lineof what I can expect and I thank u greatly for that!!!!!! *hugs* I can get thru anything as long as I have the function of my legs again. I know it can take 18-24 months for nerve rejuvenation to occur as it does so at such a slow rate each month. I won't ever go thru another surgery like this but I know this was necessary. I spent a year with severely compressed nerves at l5/s1 and hope to cont down a successful path of recovery. I know I'm one of the lucky ones...I have a second chance again, just wish the pain in my tailbone, flanks, and back would hurry up and disappear lol. Thank u for taking the time to talk to me for it means a lot to me!!!! When I was discharged, my blood pressure and oxygen was low, had to go home with an oxygen tank. Was scary for the ppl who were taking care of me...u would think my dr would of had me stay a day or two longer to get those back up to par first. Most would of stayed 5-7 days from what I researched.
Oh ya, forgot to mention that I have this brace I have to wear when I'm not sitting or laying down. First 3 weeks it was a blessing, now its just a pain lol. I know I need it and it does help me walk better with it on, not so painful and feels more supportive to my back. It makes my stomach hurt at times and my back gets sweaty (sp) which irritates my incision so I've taken a sanitary napkin and stuck it to my brace so it doesn't rub on my incision. How's that for inginuity (sp) lol?

Yeah that’s right, cervical myelopathy can cause weakness in the legs. I hope your neck problems aren’t serious, neck problems can be a nightmare. I’ve probably got about 50% range of motion in my neck, it’s not too bad. You get used to it after awhile. I only had one level done; I imagine people with 2 or 3 really have a rough time.

The recovery from neck surgery for me was bad; I have never been in so much pain in my life as I was when I woke up in that recovery room. It hurt to move. I had neck, chest and upper back pain. The morphine just barely took the edge off. It also hurt real bad to swallow, when they go in the front they shove your esophagus out of the way; some people lose their voices for awhile.

One thing that surgery did do was get rid of the shocking arm pain. That was gone right away. But it took me 3 weeks before I could ride in a car, because the motion and bumps made me hurt so bad. It seemed like my whole spine hurt. After about 3 months my neck pain lessened and I felt a little better, but that’s about as far as I recovered. I went back to see my surgeon 3-4 times for X-rays, and every time I saw him I’d tell him about how much pain I had in my upper back, shoulder and chest. He really didn’t seem to care. He said my x-rays looked good. At 4 months I was fused, and he released me and referred me to a D.O. She was nice, but didn’t know what to do. Then I spent 3 months doing PT, which was a total waste of time. Next a Physiatrist and pain management, all she wanted to do was try out different drugs on me and try expensive therapies that my insurance didn’t cover. Finally I just decided to try and live with it and got my primary to manage my pain.

I could never understand why I had so much pain after surgery, because I know people that have had the exact same procedure, that didn’t even need pain meds after a week or so. A year or so later, I went and got copies of all my MRI’s and saw a couple other surgeons, then I found out why I was in so much pain. I was basically misdiagnosed.  I have several levels in my neck that are in pretty bad shape, my surgeon just picked the worst one and decided that was the cause of all my pain, both of the other surgeons I saw said that my C4-5 should have been done and maybe another level as well. At that time I wasn’t ready for another surgery, so I thought maybe if I gave it some time, I’d feel better, but it hasn’t helped.

I still have real bad radicular pain in my scapular and shoulder areas with constant chest tightness and pressure. My thumb and 1st two fingers are still numb and the left side of my face is numb about 80% of the time. I think some of my shoulder muscles have atrophied, because I’ve lost a lot of shoulder motion and the muscles back there feel dead, like a I have a board or something strapped to my upper back.

I messed up, I should have gotten a second opinion before I had surgery, I asked my primary if I should get one and she said not to worry about it. I thought the Surgeon knew what he was doing. He’s probably a good surgeon; he just doesn’t know how to diagnose. My mistake cost me 5 years of pain. I’m not crazy about another surgery but, I’m going to have to do something about this soon, I just can’t take this pain anymore. Sorry to ramble. Oh and by  the way, I never had a stand up MRI. Are they better?

Best Wishes

K
Wow!!!! Just...wow!!! Hearing ur story makes me ache for ur pain!! *hugs* what a trial and tribulation to try and rise above!!!! I got a few different opinions b4 I ad my surgery. 2 basically said it was all in my head, even though I had mri's, emg study reports, and medical documentation to back up my diagnoses and symptoms. My pain management dr who did my emg study told this new spine specialist I began to see that he is referring surgery to him. I finally had sumone on my side!!! I will NEVER have eck fusion surgery and will avoid it at all costs!!!! Ur story just makes my body and soul hurt and to add insult to injury,  u didn't even get a correct diagnosis or all the right levels treated!!!! Ur in my thoughts!!!
Yes standing mri's are the most accurate to show what's REALLY goin on inside. When we lay down, the pressure is off our spines and there's less tension and gravity. Standing mri's apply gravity and tension and demonstrate real life displays of what goes on in our spines. So much can be missed in a laying down mri
Well today my legs began to hurt, got the heavy sluggish feeling And began to walk gimpish again. Its the first tme this has happened since surgery 5 weeks ago. I'm hoping it just means my nerves were compressed for so long that I could remain symptommatic til my nerves regenerate?
Hopefully, you just had a bad day and you'll feel better tomorrow.

Take Care
I've tried researching independently til I can call my dr tomorrow, but can I remain symptommatic neurologically here and there as my nerves go thru the slow reguvenation phase? That its normal part of recovery?
Hi, sorry to hear abt your surgery, I myself had congenital kyphosis, 57% curve, I am now 31, I had surgery when I was 20, for the first 3 yrs, I felt pretty good after surgery, and was very optimistic. I had anterior release fusion from T9-L2, also had strut graft, and rods placed from T11-L2. Then in 03 I herniated some discs, was off for about a year and found an office job worked there for about 2 yrs, My pain started to get worse, I took pain medicine but caused by intesine problem to get worse, so then I had to stop pain med which really didnt help, and went to pain managmnt, gave me gabapentin 500mg didnt work, had cervical injection, for bulging discs, didnt help felt like needles down right arm and hand felt evern worse, I have severe back pain in middle of back all pain is on my right side, had sacroliliac injection which didn't help, and also have severe pain in right hip, can't sit for more than 20-25 min without severe pain driving is excruciating in have to drive more than 20min, and get pain in sacro area, numbness, lower back and hip n leg,  when sit for 25 min, Been to ortho surgeon said surgery would be more for him than me dont know what is causing it, had bone scan said non specific, had mri, showed operative changes whatever that means, still no answers, went to water therapy, range of motion 30%. also tried chiropractor. I need help to.
Oh hun compared to u, I have nothing to ***** about!!!! I'm so sorry ur trials have been so great for u thru out ur life!!! *hugs* I wish u the very best and releif soon from all ur problems!!!!!

I can only speak to my experience, but yes I think you can have relapse while your nerves heal. With me I didn’t get a lot of immediate relief after surgery, I got a little but I was still getting burning and stabbing pains and my leg was extremely weak for a long time afterwards, at 8 weeks I could only stand on it for about 15 minutes. I know they say walk, but I couldn’t walk 50 feet let alone a mile. I thought I was never going to get better. My surgeon said it was because the nerves were compressed for so long.  It took months in therapy to get the strength back in my leg, to were I could use it properly and it didn’t hurt so much.

That’s why I was telling you that your recovery seemed to be going so well. I know it’s scary when you think you’re getting better and something happens and it seems like you go back a step. Hopefully, this is just a minor setback. Have you talked to your Doctor at all?

Hope you feel better.

K
Yes I spoke to his nurse. She said it was due to inflammation in my back? I like ur response better lol it WAS scary to have things goin so well, then my neurologically issues and pain in my legs apppear out of the blue one day. It was so hard to move my legs to walk. Glad it only lasted 3 hours!!! Thank u for talking to me kalvin, it really helps alleviate my fears!!!! *hugs*
Are you okay? Didn't see you post today.
Thank u for ur concern!!! *hugs* yes I'm doing ok today. I have another question u may or may not be able to help with. When I'm not sitting or laying down, I have to wear my back brace. My bthrm is in my bedroom so a lot of times, I don't put my brace on to walk that short distance. When I walk without my brace, even a short distance, its so much more painful and feels like my back is going to cave in. When I wear my brace, its supported and my back feels better. How long til I can hope to walk normal without it lol? How are u doing today'?
Maybe I should of read this before I just posted my story lol....  I just had L5-S1 spinal fusion with instruments. I'm almost 3 months Post-Op... My back and leg pain are the same...no improvement. I don't wanna re-type my story lol but I just posted it .Glad to see I'm not the only one who hasn't had instant relief!
Welcome, and I read ur post and commented several times *hugs* u have every right to have ur own topic hun!!!! Back surgery I'm finding, takes longer to heal from than I initially thought. I still think of myself as a success story and remain positive that I'll heal!!
I must have just missed you last night. Its normal to have pain when you walk with out your brace on, it supports your abdomen and takes a lot of the load off your lower back. And yes, it’s really hard to get used to walking without it. How long do you have to wear it? It’s going to take you a little time after you stop wearing it to feel and walk normal. Right now you’re still healing.

I was still wearing mine when I went to PT. I think it was like 4 to 5 months, I don’t remember. Then when I was in P.T they helped me build the muscles back up and It wasn't so bad. You probably won’t have to wear yours that long, this was quite a few years ago, and my Doctor was kind of old school. Some surgeons don’t have their patients wear braces at all.  All that instrumentation they use is suppose to cut down on the time you have to wear a brace also; it didn’t seem too in my case. Still feeling okay?

Take care,

K
Sum of ur experience still is the same today. Dr said to be prepared to wear it for at least 3 months. Since it makes it easier on my back to do so, I will quietly endure it lo,. Do u find urself gettin cold easily now that u have hardware in? I do. How are u doing? Thanks again for talking to me!!! *hugs*
I'm doing pretty good. Yes I do get colder easier, but I never thought the hardware had anything to do with it. I have some in my neck too. I just thought it had something to do with my nervous system being all messed up. Makes sense.
Glad to hear ur doin good and that u get colder too lol. Even tho my dr's assistant told me she's heard similaer stories of ppl getting surgeries that require hardware, and getting cold eaSy. I thought I was menospausal cuz I go from hot flashes to cold flashes at the drop of a dime it seems lol. Just since my surgery anyway.
How are you feeling today, you still walking a lot, still have a lot of pain? You should probably being going to the Doctor soon, are you going to have x-rays done?
Nah I didn't walk tons today. I took a disabled friend all over town and back so she could do a bunch of errands. Did get in and out of the van, and walk in and out of stores aNd around the sum today. Does that count lol? Yes my feet ache in a way they did b4, so do my shins. Guess it is to bed expected as nerves rejuvenate so slowly. My fusion site hurts...but I plan on taking a walk with my daughter and dogs tomorrow for as long as I can...at least a mile or two. Ya I have my 7 week post op appt on the 9th...next week. How are u doing today?
Sorry to hear about your pain, it takes along time to recover. You should be getting a little bit stronger every day. Hope you have help around the house, so you don't have do too much, I don't think I could walk a mile if I tried. I'm too lazy, actually its not that, I'm on my feet all day at work, so it kinda wears me out. We have a pretty big yard too and lately I've been trying to get it cleaned up for spring, its a pretty big job and I hurt from that too, but not too bad. I can rest tomorrow or today or whatever it is now.

I see you posting calming all these people down about their up coming surgeries and stuff. Its good therapy, when you help someone else, you help yourself. I wish I would have found this site before I had my neck surgery. Those Doctors made me feel like I was the only one in the world that didn't get better after surgery. When I came here and saw all the people that had the same pain problems I did, I think it brought a tear to my eye.

Take Care

K
For sum reason, it won't allow me to click on "get more results". Can a post only have just so many comments? I can't get to the end to see new comments:(
Kalvin *hugs* so sorry for the journey u have been on!!! U've dxone wonders to roll with the punches!!!:)   thank u for ur kindness and conversation!! I havnt been walking as much the last few days. I'm so tired and my fusion site has suprisingly began to hurt worse. I just do what I can now. I have a heaven-sent 16 yr old daughter that has been wonderfully supportive!!! I bet ur yard will look lovely when ur done, I'm not even goin to worry bout mine this yr lol. Take care
You have both been through a great deal and I take my hat off to you. keep strong.
Paddywack, u have been on ur hellacious journey...thank u for ur support!!!! *hugs*
Thank you, for your kind words. I don’t think I’m an inspiration, I’m just a guy out here trying to make sense of all this. Struggle makes use strong, right. I know things will get better for me one day and for you too. At least I can function somewhat, there’s a lot of people out there that are in a lot worse shape than me.

I’m sorry you’ve been hurting worse, only walk as much as you feel, don’t force yourself. Have you tried taking a little more medication? You did say you’re going to see the Doctor this week, right? See what he says. Didn’t I read on here somewhere, that you had a couple of boys? Tell them to get out there and get the yard cleaned up. And you don’t have to thank me for the conversation, I enjoy it, I get something out of it too.

Hope you feel better

K
Thanks kalvin *hugs* my teenage boys have not been as supportive of me after my surgery and with my temp limitations as my daughter has. We will have to have a family pow wow. I've begun to take a percocet once or twice a day depending on how I feel. Not sure why things would be goin great for so many weeks then the pain in my back gets worse. Maybe I walked too much lol? I have had it drilled into me to walk, walk, walk. And so I did. Havnt the last 3 days or so cuz just doing errands and driving and getting in and out of my van to go into places tuckers me out and makes my pain in my back pretty strong. Resting doesn't seem to help. Can't wait for my dr appt next week on the 9th. I'm going to talk to him bout getting a tenz unit and I have several questions for him. When I left the hospital, I was only taught how to safely log roll out of bed. No other safety proper body manuevers were taught to me so I hope I havnt messed up my back with daily activities. I try to be as careful as I can. Anyway, thank u for listening to me and have a wonderful evening!!!  
Your boys are probably just too young to understand whats going on with you and how serious it is. The whole thing could be scaring them a little bit and by not being supportive, they trying to run from it. Thats me the child psychologist, I've practiced on mine too, and besides that I was a real rascal when I was a kid, so I know how they think.

Sorry you've been feeling bad, running errands and getting in an out of a vehicle is hard on a person, its hard on me. I know they really push the walking after surgery, I just couldn't for a long time, and when I could walking around in those stores use to kill me. Especially Walmart. Sorry I don't remember half of those body maneuvers they  taught me. I don't think you hurt yourself, unless you had a hard fall You just have  more healing to do. I have a tens unit, do you think one will help you?

When I was at 7 weeks I was taking about 7-8 10 mg/650 mg Percocet, somewhere around 1200-1800mgs of Neurontin ( its like lyrica) and 30mg of flexeril a day. No wonder I couldn't walk right. So its amazing to me that your only taking I or 2 a day, that's incredible.

I hope you feel better soon. And I wanted to tell you that you might want to try posting one of your topics over on the Pain Management board, I post over there once in a while and I think you'd get a better response. They have 2 moderators over there that are really nice.

Take Care

K
Thank u kalvin, never thought to post a topic there!!! I dislike the "loopy" feeling I get on percocet but the pain in my back and even in my tailbone region hurts enough that I have to still have sumthing. After my surgery, I didn't have a bowel movement for 16 daYs. I'm sure the surgery was just hard on my body and the pain meds helped to make me constipated even with the stool softeners I was taking. It was strange...I simply lost the urge to poop. Since I began taking percocets, I'm beginning down that path again. I had to go to instacare the last time cuz I was so impacted and it was a hellish experience that I'm still paying for. I think it messed up my stomach cuz since then, my upper abdomen has not stopped hurting. I have appt on 22nd with a stomach dr. More info than u probably wanted to know lol. My son's are 19, and 13 btw. I'm hoping my surgeon will agree to a tens unit for me. Anyway, thanks for listening and have a great nite:)
How are you doin? Are you feeling any better? Hope so. I didn’t like the loopy feelings the drugs gave me either, but they did help with the horrible pain I was in. 16 days wow, I didn’t have much trouble with constipation, just lucky I guess. But I know it can be very painful and I have had a family member who has gone through the hellish experience you describe. It’s like the back and leg pain isn’t enough, you have to deal with that too.

I didn’t realize you had a son that old, even so, we males can be very inconsiderate at times without really realizing it. I have 2 girls, their both on their own doing good. I don’t know how they turned out so good, because I was a total screw up as a kid.

Take Care

K
Kalvin, from listening to who u are thru ur posts...I've no doubt u raised sum wonderful girls, just like urself!!!! I still havnt been doing a lot, I did go waqlking yesterday, first time in several days. I am going to try to go walkng again tomorrow. I need to learn the boundaries btwn walking, and trying to do too much lol. Oh ur so lucky u never became constipated lol. To this day, I struggle with having no urge to poop lol.  Have a great week my friend:)
I hope you felt better and had a good day!

K
ThaNk u kalvin. I can't wait for Friday to come and my appt to come lol
Kalvin, over the last two weeks, the pain at my fusion site has been suprisingly increasing. And now I get this "popping noise and feeling" when I roll over in bed, try to sit, or stand, or walk. Pretty much when I move my fusion site pops and then this sharp, piercing, shooting agonizing pain comes to my fusion site each time that area pops when I move. The pain is worse than it ws just 2 weeks ago. I'm scared that maybe sumthing from my hardware came loose or maybe I might be at the beginning of a failed back surgery thing. I'm trying to stay positive but its hard. I figured I have my 7 week post op appt on Friday so I can just wait to talk to my spine surgeon about this then. U heard of anyone going thru this? Hope all is well, take care
I am new today, looked over most of the conversation.  I had a l4-s1 fusion 2 years ago.  I regret it with all my being.  I was in pain before and had some limitations, but nothing like now.  I have 6 kids, I can't play with them like I used to, I can't pick them up and hold them, I can't go on field trips or even to the park.  My parents now live with me to help take care of the kids the house cooking driving etc while my husband works.  I started withe the failed back syndrome after my 1st back surgery 3 years ago l4-l5 laminectomy.  Again, that one did not work which led to the 3 level fusion 14 inch scar front and back and instruments.  I always "feel" like there is something in my back, I'm told it's in my head.  I just posted with my current problem so I wont write about it here.   I will pray for you that all is going as it is supposed to be going and that your just getting used to the adjustments.   You seem brave and determined, don't let that go!  Hugs, Karen
Karen thank u for taking the time to read my topic and post!!! *hugs*  ur views on ur own back surgery scare me in a way. Its everyone's worst nightmare's come true with a fusion surgery. Thank u for ur kind thoughts and I wish u the best as well...take care:)
The fusion site always hurts real bad for the 1st 3-4 months, although I don’t know why yours hurts more that it did. The hardware tightens things in the one -two vertebrae and the other vertebrae are not as secured and move around, that can cause a popping or grinding sound. Scar tissue over the hardware can also cause a popping sound as you begin to get your flexibility back. It happens when you twisted in bed, sit and stand up, but I don’t know about this, because your surgery is fairly recent. I used to get kind of a clicking feeling in my back when I walked; it hurt some, but not real bad.

I know you’re worried, but don’t give up yet. When I was at 7 weeks, I spent most of my time sitting in a recliner. And don’t be taking about a failed back surgery, its way too early for that. Popping sounds are pretty common after back surgery, I’m just wondering about this pain you’re having. There are a lot of back surgeries that don’t turn out so good, but there are also a lot do. I know several people that have had good outcomes, myself included, and one of those was a 5 level deal. On a board like this, you’re not going to find a whole lot of people taking about how great their surgery was, the post above me is a perfect example.

I hope you get all your questions answered by the Doctor, are they going to x-ray you? I know what you’re going through its scary, especially since you felt better a couple weeks ago, but these recoveries are sometimes one step forward, three steps back. Try to stay positive, feel better and make sure you let me know what your Doctor had to say.

Take Care

K

I think we must have been posting at the same time yesterday. I hope you feel okay and your Doctor's appointment goes well. Talk to you later, I have to get back to work.

K
Hi kalvin, I had my appt today. Did exrays, hardware looks great, no fusion beginning yet, dr said it can take up to 3 montbhs to begin to see it on exray. He is extremely happy at my progress at just 6-7 weeks post-op. He's proud that I hve stopped all my other med's but percocets and that I'm up walking as much as I am. He didn't seem very concerned bout my popping noise and pain. So I'm going to assume its a normal part of recovery and work on not twisting or bending. I feel pretty good today. Havnt had a good day like this in nearly 2 weeks lol. Dr will cont refilling my percocets til the pain simmers down permanently for me so that's good. Anyway, that's my new news...hope all is well with u, take care:)
Thats great news glad to hear it. Its also good to know that your feeling better today.

K

well similar story first ruptured L3-L4 in 1996. 4 ops and 2 discs later they fused L3-L4... Titanium cage and screws. Have had 6 ops now each worse than the last but when its a choice between unbearable kill yourself pain and medication managable pain i'll take the pills. I was on seriously high doses of meds after 16 yrs of ops, physio, useless chiro and anything else i could try (had a chiropracter actually rupture a disc) i'm back to skelaxin and valium for cramps and spasms and 10/325 vicodin with 20mg oxycontin 4 times a day. I have a massive tolerance for narcotics but lowered myself to where i am (yes lowered) if it's been months or years and you still have severe chronic pain i hate to say it but narcotics are likely the only thing that is going to give you any relief from the pain. Take the pills and enjoy life as best you can. Be honest with your doc dont overstate pain and sign the medication contract then get pills that work. P.s. Nsaids, tramadol etc are NOT narcotics and vicodin in pill form is 5, 7.5 and 10mg the big huge number is TYLENOL so if someone tells you to take 500mg of vicodin lol lets just use two words...OVER DOSE another thing to remember is you may never be rid of the pain but with meds and exercise you can get it to a tolerable level. Good luck i wish you the best
Sounds you got some people responding now! I've had a great time with this board so far.