Back & Neck Community
pain to the touch on my spine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

pain to the touch on my spine

hurts to touch my spine,feels like what a bruise feels like elsewhere on the body. You can just put your finger on my back on my spinal area in different spots and it hurts, never had this problem before. I've read other forums, and it seems like it could possibly be arthritis. I know there is also fibromyalgia, and lupus. I had an ephideral, when I had my son, in 1994, the lady messed up, and put it in the wrong place on my spine, and had to do it again, but I had no problems until now, I was 27 then ,and now I'm 40. I also had a bad car accident, with no promblems then either. I have had shingles before, do to stress, and it was a rash around my stomach, which was very different. Never had that before either. I have also this tightness in my face, on only one side, which no one has been able to diagnose, had and MRI, and Bone scans, and catscans, seen a neurologist, found nothing. But the only thing left was to see a tmj doctor for my face, so they think it could be that, that is causing tightness in face. But I just thought I would tell you everything, and not leave anything out, maybe they all could be linked to the same thing, I know you cannot diagnose, but what would be your opinion? Thank You very much.
Avatar n tn
I was in a car accident just over 7 months ago.  I too have a very sensitive back, it feels as if there is a very large, very deep black and blue mark.  My doctor (insurance) has decided that I do not need an MRI.  I have been told that the muscles in my back tore and seperated from my spine.  I ahve been going to PT for 6 month now 3x week and am still not able to function with most daily activities.  I tried to go back to work for a short period of time however ended up back at stage 1 and had to start my recovery process all over again.  I ahve read many comments from people about difficulties receiving pain meds and I too am very limited on how many hydro I can have in one months time. They are afraid that I may become dependant upon them.  Well duh...of course I am dependant upon them.  I am not able to funtion without some kind of releif and I have 2 small children.  It is a horrialbe feeling to have your 3 year old fall down and get hurt and not even be able to pick them up to hug and console them.  Goodluck! I really hope you can find some releif.  The best advise I could give is to carry a pillow with you.  I found that a thin, non-lumpy, completely flat pillow helps while sitting.  Never sit in metal folding chairs.   Lay flat on your back for releif if you can and use a heating pad.  There are patches made by ACE brand that are called warming patches. They do not contain menthol they just keep warmth on you.  When you muscles get cold they tense up and that can make the pain worse.
have you found out what was wrong, definatelt not fibromyalgia as you would have a hundred and one other syptoms (symptoms), none of which you have described.. just wondered if your doc had found a reason? as i suffer with the pain to the spine.. my doc has just taken blood test to rule out arthritus, please let me know what yours said?
I also have soreness on and around my cervical spine. However I have a few things going on there. DDD, c5-c6 protrusion, and I have arthritis in my neck.  I had these problems for years and the MRI didn't show it until last year and now it is to where I am in pain all the time.  I for one don't understand the MRI testing and why they haven't came up with something standing or sitting, because I get relief when laying down flat and think that you DO NOT get accurate results from the MRI because of that. The weight of your body pushing you down is going to compress things therefore more pain.....but that is My own opinion.  So that could be why they are not finding your problem. They didn't find mine for quite some time either. It was nice to actually be validated and know what was going on. I hope you find out what is wrong. Not sure which of my problems makes my neck feel like it is bruised like that, but just wanted to throw some  suggestions your way. Good luck.
I recently have been having chronic pain on my mid spinal area. it hurts with movement and when I touch it. Just curios on what could cause this. How can I treat it?
Get tested for Lyme disease.
i to am 44 and i cant seem to touch the middle of my back my spine area without it hurting i have other symptoms also though my hands swell mostly its affecting my left side my eye is droopy and my leg swells and my hand going to see a nuero here soon will keep you posted by another symptom i have is my face feels hot constantly i don't know why but i take 5 vikoden and 2 compounds and nothing is helping all i want is relief.....
I was diagnosed with arthritis in my spine when I was 15. I went to the doctor because I noticed it was painful when someone touched the bumps from the spine on my back. When I had my first child, The pain got a lot worse. Two years later I blew my L5- S1 and had surgery. 4 weeks later it blew again. again, I had surgery. Over the years I have noticed that the pain I originally had in my spine is still there. And it isn't only in one spot. It is literally the whole spine is extreamly painful to touch. Nobody seems to know what it is or what to do to treat it. I would love to know what any of you have found out. I'm 33 now and I just need answers.
I have the same problem, it started almost 2 months ago out of no where, i have always have lower back pain and cervical spinal issues from car accident. But this is not the same at all, it is only in one area (mid spine) like by my bra strap almost, and its my actual spine that hurts, it feels like a bad bruise. Went to ER, they did an xray but said eveything looked fine i just needed to take anti-inflamitory meds...that doesnt help at all...ice doesnt help, heat doesnt help, changing posture doesnt help, nothing makes it better. What is wrong with me? I am 31 and have 2 children and it hurts to stand for too long, hurts to sit or lay down for too long :(
Guys, just a suggestion, read healing back pain by dr john sarno , it may help x