Back & Neck Community
recovery after lower back disc fusion
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

recovery after lower back disc fusion

In July of 2010 I will be having a multilevel disc fusion l4,l5.s1...I am SO ready for this surgery..I have found enough information on what the surgery is what it entails etc.  BUT I can NOT find out about recovery?..

What to expect, how long to expect it?  At this time I can NOT sit for more then 15 to 20 minutes without severe pain where I could cry.  I have a job where I sit for 4 hours on a bar stool.  I can get up and go for short walks with no issues..I just type on a computer nothing more..How long before I can expect to go back to my job?  I need to sit or stay the 4 hours with small walk breaks as I go...YES  I am VERY nervous..I am actually kind of scared, but I have NO life like I am !! ..My life ***** the way I am..ANY thing you can give me for advice and a possible time line so I can inform my mom on a time line *I work with my mom*  would be GREATLY appreacited..
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Well, I'm 7 weeks out from a one level fusion with instrumentation at l5/s1. I had my surgery feb 22nd. My dr won't even consider releasing me to work until june 22nd. That'll be 4 months from my surgey.  It also depends on the person and everyone is different in how they recover. Ur having multi levels fused. It may take u longer to heal. Id walk as much as u can after ur surgery. Its a major surgery and I've found it to be a very painful one to recover from. Still very painful for me at this stage. I wish u the best, if u have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. I was in the hospital 3 days, my surgery was 6 hours, and I have a 5-6 inch incision on my back.
Blank
Thanks that at least give me SOME kind of a time line to prepare for..I just want to try to get things lined up before July rather then try to do it at the last minute..appreaciate the info and I so hope you feel better soon....
Blank
Ur welcome hun, good luck on ur upcomming surgery, what caused u to need ur surgery if u don't mind me asking? Thank u:)
Blank
Hi Deb,
Two years ago this coming November I had back surgery. I didn't have a fusion though, I had a multi-lamidectomy L4-5-S1 affected.  Surgery and recovery wasn't bad. It was better than dealing with the pain before. I unfortunately do have some persistent nerve damage which appears to be irreversible. Don't be scared, get it done, its better than the alternative of living with it.  
K8XD
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Back & Neck Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank