Back & Neck Community
recovery after lower back disc fusion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

recovery after lower back disc fusion

In July of 2010 I will be having a multilevel disc fusion l4,l5.s1...I am SO ready for this surgery..I have found enough information on what the surgery is what it entails etc.  BUT I can NOT find out about recovery?..

What to expect, how long to expect it?  At this time I can NOT sit for more then 15 to 20 minutes without severe pain where I could cry.  I have a job where I sit for 4 hours on a bar stool.  I can get up and go for short walks with no issues..I just type on a computer nothing more..How long before I can expect to go back to my job?  I need to sit or stay the 4 hours with small walk breaks as I go...YES  I am VERY nervous..I am actually kind of scared, but I have NO life like I am !! ..My life ***** the way I am..ANY thing you can give me for advice and a possible time line so I can inform my mom on a time line *I work with my mom*  would be GREATLY appreacited..
Well, I'm 7 weeks out from a one level fusion with instrumentation at l5/s1. I had my surgery feb 22nd. My dr won't even consider releasing me to work until june 22nd. That'll be 4 months from my surgey.  It also depends on the person and everyone is different in how they recover. Ur having multi levels fused. It may take u longer to heal. Id walk as much as u can after ur surgery. Its a major surgery and I've found it to be a very painful one to recover from. Still very painful for me at this stage. I wish u the best, if u have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. I was in the hospital 3 days, my surgery was 6 hours, and I have a 5-6 inch incision on my back.
Thanks that at least give me SOME kind of a time line to prepare for..I just want to try to get things lined up before July rather then try to do it at the last minute..appreaciate the info and I so hope you feel better soon....
Ur welcome hun, good luck on ur upcomming surgery, what caused u to need ur surgery if u don't mind me asking? Thank u:)
Hi Deb,
Two years ago this coming November I had back surgery. I didn't have a fusion though, I had a multi-lamidectomy L4-5-S1 affected.  Surgery and recovery wasn't bad. It was better than dealing with the pain before. I unfortunately do have some persistent nerve damage which appears to be irreversible. Don't be scared, get it done, its better than the alternative of living with it.  
K8XD