Back, Spine & Neck Surgery Expert Forum
I Need A Fusion Back Surgery and im only 27!! Please help

Questions in the Back and Spine Surgery forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Hello Dr.Rosen thanks for your time. I have been in constant pain with the lower lumbar back. I have tried everything from Med-x to aquatic therapy ,traditional physical therapy, acupuncture, massage. So i am now receiving no therapy and have had the worst pain ever im not able to do anything i was able to do before i almost can't get out of bed until i take my bills( im taking about 8 7.5 of norco) and that doesn't even take the pain away i just stay home. But i have had a second MRI and seen a spine Dr at Southern California Orthopedic Institute and he went over my MRI and suggested a Microdisctomy at first then we got bigger pictures of my MRI and suggested a fusion im only 27. I want to trust him on his decision but i've read a lot and that seem's like too big of a surgery for me at this time. There's a lot i could go over but i just would like a opinion on lumber back surgery..Is there another surgery out there that i just don't no about. And i want to have one surgery not have it not done right and have another one. He also said if i have the Microdisctomy that would just take away my but,hip and leg pain with some of my lower back back pain he said a 50 to 80% better. And with the fusion he mentioned he would have to relign my spine.
Thanks so much..
Generally, a fusion is better at relieving back pain and a microdiscectomy is better for leg pain.  If you have a combination of both your doctor may be considering a combination operation of both fusion and decompression of the nerve roots.  A discectomy only works if you have a true disc herniation.  If the problem is more disc degeneration then the microdiscetomy may not be all that effective.
It is a tough call at 27 yrs. of age but sometimes needed to get your recovery started.
A second opinion with an orthopedic spine surgeon is always a good idea.
Hi thanks for your answer . After i wrote this yesterday i talked more in depth with my doctor and the main problem with my back is the bone's are sliding back and forth and my bone has pushed through my spine and i do have a 9 mm herniated disk on the L5-s1 and a 3mm on the L4. There is no jelly as he called it in between the disk so its bone on bone. And this happened in 06 so its been almost 2 years i fill i waited to long. But do you still think a spinal fusion is something to consider. I would love to meet with you for a second opinion and go over my MRI. Thanks for any more info im just really scared any need any opinions right now..