Back, Spine & Neck Surgery Expert Forum
Degenerative Disc Disease Surgery options

Questions in the Back and Spine Surgery forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Hello, I have a degenerative disc showing on my MRI scans in the L5-S1 disc. I have had a pervious surgery already-a discectomy- on a herniation located on the L3-L4 disc and also have shown a slight bulging on the L4-L5 disc but nothing has been done there yet as it seems to be okay for now.

My question is, what exactly can my surgeon do to operate on my L5-S1 disc? Would it be a discetomy as well if it is not herniated? I would like to avoid the idea of an artificial disc if possible since it is so new.

This is of course causing me a great deal of pain after the physical therapy I have had to try and feel better, but I now realize it is L5-S1 disc hurting, not the one I had surgery on already. It hurts to sit a long time, or do anything really besides lay down, and I am missing a ton of work from it.

I won't be able to see my surgeon for consultation until November 10th sadly, so I was hoping to get some feedback so I can bring my questions to him.

Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions provided here.

Best regards,

~Lila

I have had an anterior discectomy at C5/C6 and C/6C/7 with plating and fusion along with multiple bone spur removal and nerve canal openings.Unfortunately the fusion never took and a posterior discectomy had to be performed not only to correct the first surgery but to augment it as well.During the convalescent period i developed quite a bit of discomfort in the lower back area along with the radiculating pain that it causes.Before going into much detail about the procedure i'll simply say that had a triple laminectomy[that's my term and it may not even exist]I had lumbar laminectomys at L/3L/4 L/4L/5 and L/5S/1.I was up walking an hour after i awoke and have had po pain since.Let me assure after having been through the cervical dabacle i was very skeptical of those who say they feel remarkably better as soon as they wake-up well i did and am still quite taken aback that i am one of those people now.Again if this is in the vicinity of your problem let me know as there were other matters addressed during the surgery.Be Well-Hal109
I have dengenerative disc disease as well had herniated disc L5 and had lower lumbar discectomy in Feb Now I am looking at another herniated disc surgery.  That disc was only bulging at the time of surgery but I dont understand why he didnt go ahead then and do something cause he knew it wasnt going to get better.  I missed 17 wks of work with first surgery and now have to wait till Feb next yr so I will have my disability through work to get paid while I am off.  I take meds and hurt all night and most of the day.  I dont know if I am coming or going somedays and am tired of being so less active.  I work and thats it cause that all I can do.  How long were you not able to work after the triple?  I also have spurs but the nuerosugeon doesnt mention doing anything about them.  Wonder Why???  God Bless
A related discussion, Microsurgery for neck, shoulder and lumbar pain was started.
A related discussion, What can be done for Spinal Stenosis in L50S1 was started.