Back, Spine & Neck Surgery Expert Forum
Disc Herniations

Questions in the Back and Spine Surgery forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Disc Herniations

Hello.
I am a fifteen year old girl, and I have had back problems for five years. It's gotten worse over the years, and I've recently discovered that I have two disc herniations. One is at L4-L5, and is 5mm. The other is at L5-S1, and is 2mm. (I'm pretty sure I said that correctly.) My doctor said that it is bad enough that most people would have surgery, but since I am so young, they would prefer not to do surgery, or even give me pain medications. (They say I might get addicted) I have instead done physical therapy and seen a chiropractor twice a week. I still have severe pain going down my lower back and my legs. I've been told that the only way to really make this go away is by getting surgery. Should I just get the surgery, even though I'm young? I can't put up with this pain. I go to school, where I have to sit for hours, which is agony. (Standing and laying down still hurt, but sitting seems to make it hurt a lot more.)
What would you suggest?
Dear Inquiry15,
It is reasonable to try an epidural injection to try to settle the pain down but since you have had it for so long already it may not help much.  It is very problematic to recommend surgery to a 15 y/o but it does occur occasionally.
I would suggest you try to find a few surgeons to review your case before you and your parents make any decisions.  Try to find a surgeon with experience doing minimally invasive surgery to try to make your recovery less painful.  
Good Luck