Back, Spine & Neck Surgery Expert Forum
Disc Herniations
About This Forum:

Questions in the Back and Spine Surgery forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Disc Herniations

Hello.
I am a fifteen year old girl, and I have had back problems for five years. It's gotten worse over the years, and I've recently discovered that I have two disc herniations. One is at L4-L5, and is 5mm. The other is at L5-S1, and is 2mm. (I'm pretty sure I said that correctly.) My doctor said that it is bad enough that most people would have surgery, but since I am so young, they would prefer not to do surgery, or even give me pain medications. (They say I might get addicted) I have instead done physical therapy and seen a chiropractor twice a week. I still have severe pain going down my lower back and my legs. I've been told that the only way to really make this go away is by getting surgery. Should I just get the surgery, even though I'm young? I can't put up with this pain. I go to school, where I have to sit for hours, which is agony. (Standing and laying down still hurt, but sitting seems to make it hurt a lot more.)
What would you suggest?