Back, Spine & Neck Surgery Expert Forum
Is surgery a good option?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Back and Spine Surgery forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Is surgery a good option?

My 20year old son has Tourettes w/head movement, severe Kyphosis with mild cord compression.  He was diagnosed with Kyphosis 2-1/2 years ago, however, there was no cord compression. Just touching the cord.  Recently, his condition deteriorated and he went back for another MRI, this time it showed worsening of the Kyphosis with mild cord compression. He is in constant pain.  He went to an Orthopedic Surgeon who said he definetely needs major reconstructive surgery, front and back of neck.  He feels he can relieve a majority of the pain.  But he would probably never be pain free.   He also said he would  probably need future surgerys.  I went to my sons previous Orthopedic surgeon for a second opinion.  He says he needs surgery, however, he feels there's a 50/50 chance of it helping with the pain.  There is also a chance the pain might be worse.  However, because the Kyphosis worsened, and now it's causing compression on his cord, he should have the surgery.  I am very worried for my son.  He is so young and I want him to have a life.  Can you please advise me on this matter.