Back, Spine & Neck Surgery Expert Forum
Need opinion urgently - appreciate any help

Questions in the Back and Spine Surgery forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Hi, My father had undergone two opearations one in 2006 (at that time I have posted a question in this medhelp form for myelomalacia treatment http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/297282?personal_page_id=193242&post_id=post_1821192 ) and another one in March 2008 (as there was another compression in the lumbar area of the spinal cord). After this operation his legs improved a little bit and he regain control of his bowl movement, but still could not able to walk even with support of a person and also a walker. Recently, he started a symptom (initially started after waking up from deep sleep and now it progressed), talks incoherently and then comes back normal with in a minute or so. We had consulted a pyschiatrist for this and he advised to go for an MRI of brain. The report now shows below.
a)TR weighted hyperintensities involving right mid-brain(Ischemic area).
b)Diffuse cerebellar atrophy

Is there any thing new in this kind of a case in the medicine or advise if some thing can be done to my father to improve his condition atleast to walk little bit and stop talking in-coherently. Appreciate any help in this.
Sorry to hear about those syptoms.  This forum is limited (as is my expertise) to spine surgery.  The incoherent speech would not be spinal in origin.  A neurologist is best trained to assist you in this analysis.
Good luck.