Bariatric / Weight Loss Surgery Community
after lap band removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to bariatric surgery for weight loss (including gastric bypass surgery, lap band surgery, etc) complications, finding a surgeon, whether it is right for you, nutrition, recovery, risk, and pre- and post-op issues.

after lap band removal

I have decided to have Lap band surgery soon. i have read and heard a lot of things about the benefits of Lap band surgery. but one thing i want to know that. Is this for life time?   if i removed my Lap band after 1 or 2 years then what happen?. pl. reply me soon i am waiting for this. Thank you.  
if it is removed, you are most likely to regain your weight because you are able to eat more than you could when you were banded.  Think carefully about this decision.
Lab band is for life !!!  If you remove it, you will be back at the same position that got you fat in the first place !!!  The band restricts you, so you can't over eat, and go back for seconds.  I have had one for 3 years, and its quite an adjustment, but I have lost 65-70 lbs and I still have about 25 to feel just right.  Your way of eating is very restricted.  No more bread pasta rice or potatoes......its very hard for the band to accept those foods that expand.  So you have to get your nutrients and focus on protien and vegetables.  Yes we do find our way around the band and we all cheat, but it really helps the over eater get back to reality and portion control.  ***@**** if you have questiions !!!  Rose
I am starting to research the lap band, and have a few questions.  They say no bread, pasta, carbonated beverages, etc...  Can you never eat a slice of pizza, or drink a soda, or have mashed potatoes again?  Also I have read that you can not drink whike eating, how is this possible, doesn't food get stuck easier?  My husband and I like to have a few beers once in a while, will I be able to do this eventually?  I am just trying to figure some of these things out.  Hope you don't mind me asking, thanks for your time.
I had my band placed in Aug 09. I have lost just over 70 pounds. I am very happy that I did it but I did put alot of effort into the decision. I felt that it was right for me. I would recommend going to support groups. It is a great chance before and after surgery to ask questions and see how it was for others. I know I had tons of questions. After surgery it is nice to be there for others.

As for the food...yes there are changes but for me it wasn't as drastic as I envisioned. Yes you have to eat "dry meals" but if you practice it really isn't a big deal. Much easier of an adjustment than I thought it would be. As for what you can eat...it will vary depending on the person. I know those who can't eat alot of things that I can handle just fine. My surgeon says pizza is fine as long as it has meat on it. The meat and cheese are good protien, and as long as it is thin crust I can handle it just fine. Your goal is to get to where 1 cup of food keeps you satisfied. It doesn't sound like much but you will be suprised at how much it really is and when properly adjusted it will keep you full. I can also eat some breads. They have recommended Arnolds Sandwhich Thins. They are 100 calories and are amazing. I have no problem with them at all. As for pasta...I don't even try boxed stuff because I have heard too many people have problems with it but I have had fresh pasta on one occasion and it was just fine. Granted you are not gonna want to eat it much because you need to get your protien and if you only have one cup of food you have to make choices on how you fill you cup. So I don't do pasta much but I do have potoatoes. So far...mashed, fried and baked all seem to go fine for me. Like I said though it will vary for each person. You prolly won't want to try any soda until you are very well healed but there again some can handle it and some can't. I can drink diet soda and the carbonation doesn't bother me. The biggest thing will to be sure not to drink high calorie beverages. My dr says nothing over 10 calories per serving....they add up faster than you would think. Ok...sorry I just realized this is really long so I will just wish you luck.
Well I have had my band for 7 years and I had a baby year and half ago and  Lost 130ibs with only one fill very happy about that but a year ago had to have all my fluid pulled out because they said it may have slipped but I felt better for the last year my band had no fluid didnt gain weight because I Work out everyday and have since i had the band put in. Now I have had more problems and I need it removed but trust me even with the band this has been the hardest diet I have had to follow you really can't have a lot things they will make you sick and vomit after only one bite and Can't eat for hours. People really need to make sure they are very clear on the fact that even healthy foods you really can't get enough and you would really have to stay on a very tight workout program the rest of your life if someone is not prepared to do  that lap band won't work ,and you suffered for nothing and aim not talking about the surgery that's a piece of cake,but you can't have many things and with some workouts your port site will hurt . I am happy to be having mine out next week .  
The lapband has changed the way I eat and not in a good way. I am seeing my doctor next week to have it removed. I feel bad all the time, physically. I think it may be poisoning my system.
I have had it for more than 2 years and have done well but I want to feel good. The lapband is the last thing I would think is causing me to feel bad but it's been more than 1 1/2 years that it's been going on, so..........And there seems to be nothing wrong with me, so why do I feel sick all the time?
Please post how your removal goes. I am interested to hear.
Good luck!
I understand completely how you feel.  I felt the exact same way. I felt that my body was rejecting the band and when i ate I experienced flu like symptoms and thought geez is my body rejecting the food also? I felt crummy constantly.
I just had my band removed 2 days ago and its a much simpler recovery then having it placed.  I made a decision prior to having the band removed that I would eat a healthy diet of fresh fruits, veggies, grains, beans, legumes etc.  Things I was not able to eat with the lap band because I couldn't keep them down.  I look forward to a normal life again with a healthy diet this time and a consistent exercise routine. I will say that I was disappointed with my surgeon that removed the band he never came to speak to me or my husband after the surgery but the nurses were extremely nice and on board for the removal and not having another type of weight loss surgery. Strange maybe they know something but not saying humm.