Bariatric / Weight Loss Surgery Expert Forum
severe vitamin deficiency
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to: Choosing a Bariatric Surgeon, Complications, Considerations, Cosmetic Surgery, Diet and Eating, Emotional Issues, Gastric Bypass Surgery, Health Insurance Issues, Lap Band Surgery, Nutritional Issues, Pre Surgery Issues, Post Surgery Issues, Questions to Ask Your Surgeon, Roux Y Gastric Bypass, StomaphyX, Success Stories, and Transoral ROSE.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

severe vitamin deficiency

Hi There,

I had duodenal switch surgery in 2001. In the last 3 years I developed iron deficiency anemia and a host of other vitamin deficiencies. I am currently getting IV iron infusions. At this point though I was wondering if other vitamins are available in injectable form. I know that b12 is, that vitamin A is, I have also read some studies about injectable d3. Is there any way to get a comprehensive list of all available vitamin & mineral injectables ? My doctor doesn't seem to know anything about injectable vitamins.

thanks
Related Discussions
1140722_tn?1266356279
GENERIC NAME: CALCITRIOL - INJECTABLE (kal-SIT-ree-ole)
BRAND NAME(S): Calcijex
Medication Uses | How To Use | Side Effects | Precautions | Drug Interactions | Overdose | Notes | Missed Dose | Storage

USES: Calcitriol is a type of vitamin D (vitamin D3). Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin stored in the body and necessary for normal bone development. Calcitriol used to treat or prevent certain types of calcium and phosphate disorders (e.g., hypocalcemia) in people on long- term dialysis (chronic renal failure - CRF). It works by regulating parathyroid hormone (PTH) levels which, in turn, affect calcium levels in the blood.

HOW TO USE: Learn all preparation and usage instructions in the product package. If any of the information is unclear, consult your doctor or pharmacist. Inject this medication into a vein (IV) usually every other day or at any time during dialysis; or as directed by your doctor. The dosage is based on your weight, medical condition, and response to therapy. Before using, check this product visually for particles or discoloration. If either is present, do not use the liquid. Learn how to store and discard needles and medical supplies safely. Consult your pharmacist.

SIDE EFFECTS: Nausea, headache, constipation, or pain/discomfort at the injection site may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor promptly. Promptly tell your doctor if any of these side effects occur: decreased interest in sex. Tell your doctor immediately if any of these serious side effects occur: drowsiness, lightheadedness, vomiting, dry mouth, thirst, dehydration, metallic taste in the mouth, unusual weakness, bone pain, muscle pain, swelling. Tell your doctor immediately if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur: chills, weight loss, increased need to urinate at night, loss of appetite, eye problems, stomach pain, sensitivity to light, severe runny nose, itching, dizziness. Tell your doctor immediately if any of these highly unlikely but very serious side effects occur: irregular heartbeat, severe mental/mood changes, bloody or tarry stool, fever, trouble breathing, unusual thirst, change in amount of urine. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank