Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Allergic to Birth Control?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

Allergic to Birth Control?

I am 26 years old, recently got married, and started birth control pills for the first time last saturday night (first day of my period). Well, sunday morning I got up and noticed that my whole face was red and very swollen. It appeared to be a huge rash from my forhead down to my neck. I also had rashes all over my arms. I have never had an allergic reaction like this before in my life, and I tried to figure out what it could have been. I did the same thing and ate the same food I always did. I could not find anything different except that I took birth control for the first time the night before. My breasts also felt tender which is something I never had before. So, I am assuming it's the birth control (ortho-tri). If I am allergic to this type of birth control, am I pretty much allergic to the rest of the birth control pills? I am trying to figure out what I could do instead of the pills, but the diaphragms and the other implants just aren't something I would be comfortable with. We are using condoms, but I want to be extra safe and protect myself as well. Any advice? Thanks!

Have you discussed it with a Dr.? they might be able to suggest something with a slightly different composition than what is causing the allergic reaction.