Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Bad cramps on birth control

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

Bad cramps on birth control

So lately I have been put on the pill, its a low dosage to regulate my period though(I'm Not even close to being sexually active). I started to get cramps 2 days before which was strange cause I haven't experienced craps in such a long time, Not to mention the flow was ridiculous! For two days the cramps were so bad, no matter what I did it didn't ease off.(I've taken midol its the only thing that calms the cramps) Its now been almost a week and during that week its been very heavy and the cramps consistent. They only hurt badly for maybe three out of the 7-9 days I've had it so far. This is also my first try on the pill so its my first cycle, so I realize its not normal yet. I'm just a tad worried about some things like
-Why is it hurting so bad?
-Why is it such a heavy flow
-I have a feeling now that its slowing the cramps will continue
If it continues after a few more days I'm going to the doctor again.
I'm only 16 and scared to death of this because people keep saying I may have a disease.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
I may be able to confirm whether this pain and heavy flow is due to some medical problem  or due to pills only after I examine you. The common causes of severe abdominal pain with heavy flow are endometriosis, ovarian cysts, and pelvic congestion. A clinical evaluation is necessary for confirming the exact cause of your symptoms. Do see a gynecologist and get the cause confirmed. Treatment will depend on the cause. I hope it helps.
Best wishes and kind regards!