Birth Control (Contraception) Expert Forum
Birthcontrol to pregnancy

This Birth Control & Contraception forum is for questions and information regarding birth control and contraception. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

Birthcontrol to pregnancy

I have been on the depo injections from may of 2007 til Oct of 2012 then switched to the nexplanon implant without any breaks. I don't wanna get pregnant right away but don't wanna wait til it is too late and have been on birth control to long so what I am asking is if I should give my body a break and get off birth control and use other forms of contraception or would it be ok to be on birth control for 8 and half years ( that is how long it will be when I get the implant removed) and if it is ok how long will it take my body to get back to normal?
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you to use a good contraceptive method until you are ready for pregnancy.  Honestly, contraceptives are actually PROTECTIVE in many cases--reduce complications due to endometriosis or PID for example . So you should be OK for as long as you want, and then cycles will typically resume in 1-3 months after the implant is removed.
Good luck!
Dr B