Birth Control (Contraception) Community
Depo and Antibiotics?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to birth control and contraception and the various options in practicing birth control.

Depo and Antibiotics?

My girlfriend started using the depo-provera shot about a month ago. We abstained from sex for a week after the injection just to be safe. Two weeks after the injection we had to make a visit to her family practice doctor because we had a hunch that she had a bladder infection. We were right. The doctor prescribed her to take 250 mg of Ciprofloxacin twice daily and of course Phenazopyridine for the pain. Being that we are both young, we had never heard that antibiotics could decrease the effectiveness of birth control. We were never informed of this at the doctor's office when she got prescribed the antibiotics or when she got her injection. I tried to do some research on the internet but I can't find any definitive answers. And the uncertain answers that I have seen just use the very vague term "antibiotics". No one says which certain types of antibiotics interact with the depo-provera shot in an adverse way. In a very round about manner, my question is whether my girlfriend has a higher risk of pregnancy because she is on a fluoroquinolones type antibiotic?