Birth Control (Contraception) Expert Forum
Effifcacy of expired birth control pill, Alesse

This Birth Control & Contraception forum is for questions and information regarding birth control and contraception. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

I have a 28 day pack of Alesse with 11/2012 as its expiration date. I'm curious to know whether it's as effective 2.5-3 months after the expiry date stamped on the bubble pack, or if that date is just a 'sell by' date for the pharmacy.
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you that medication that has expired should be discarded.  If you were my sister, I would say--if the medication has been properly stored and the bubble pack is not broken, take the pills anyway--they are fine.  You didn't hear that.
Good luck!
Dr B