Birth Control (Contraception) Expert Forum
How to Convince my mom

This Birth Control & Contraception forum is for questions and information regarding birth control and contraception. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

How to Convince my mom
So I have one if the most irregular periods.... I was good for  a while... Like 5 months, got it every 31 days, then out of no where, I got it about a week early, and this month around, I'm a week late. It's probably because I was so early... But I don't really enjoy not knowing when it's coming... So, I talked to my mother about birth control... And she told me flat out that since I not sexually active (I'm waiting for the right guy.... On my wedding night ) I don't need it.. Just because I'm not having sex doesn't mean I don't need it right? All I want is a period to come when it supposed to. Also I'm kinda worried about something happening... Since I am away at school and have a really late class an have to walk back in the dark, and in more on the shorter side... Well I'm sure you get the picture...  And I don't want anything to happen from that...  How should I handle this? I dot want to go behind my mom back and get birth control and I don't want to ask her about it again...
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would prescribe medication for you to regulate your cycles.  We could discuss various different options for that, including oral contraceptive pills which work very nicely. In many states teens can get birth control without parental consent--you might try some place like Planned Parenthood.  Since it is not contraception that you want, just a visit to a regular doctor might be the best plan.
Good luck!
Dr B
Irregular periods are normal and so many women has this problem. Usually, irregular periods are nothing to worry about, but on occasion, they can signal health complications.